Small size, High CCA battery

Kiwibirdman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/06/2021 at 10:54, flyingbrick said:

Over the past few years I've been increasingly interested in automotive batteries and how they actually function. Its not something that most people give a second thought to coz its a fuckin boring topic- but relevant to me because there's 6 vehicles/machines in the garage which all need batteries to function, and EVERY single bloody time i bring something home with a battery, the battery is ALWAYS fucked or near fucked.

The Busa was the same. Id checked current draw from the electrical system while sitting and there was definitely nothing noteworthy but it'd go flat after sitting for a week off charge- and it only juuuust started the morning after brass monkey. Not fucking ideal because its a big motor to get push started- 100% certain it wouldn't work on event he steepest of grassy hills.

Then a couple of days after returning from the trip I got all geared up in my leathers, rolled the bike outside and planned on hooning to work- Pretty much just got a "click" before it was completely dead again.

So researched things way way too much and ended up buying a Motobatt Hybrid battery. I'll be clear- I have no idea how they function internally except that they are a hybrid of normal AGM lead acid and lithium batteries (This may be lithium ion, or may be some other type of lithium battery, no idea). 

Each half of the battery supports the other half when it is outside of its happy operating parameters. The Lithium side helps with its huge CCA output, capacity and weight reduction and the lead acid side assists its cold weather performance (lithium batteries hate the cold) and means the battery can be charged on standard chargers (fast and maintenance). All cell balancing is taken care of internally and there is also over charge and over discharge protection built in- basically, if voltage drops below a certain level then the batteries output is disconnected- and not reconnected until the battery is woken back up with a charger. 

I was also happy that the battery lists an actual honest amp hour capacity- this is kinda irrelevant on lead acid cells and is essentially a lie on Lithium Iron batteries from manufacturers like Shorai.

Basically, lead acid cells list a capacity but only half of this capacity is available before the battery starts being irreversibly damaged inside. Most manufacturers state that only 50% of the batteries capacity can be safely used- so a 12Ah battery becomes 6Ah.

Its 2021. Batteries shouldn't be that bloody easy to ruin

Numbers are also muddled by lithium iron battery manufacturers like Shorai listing their capacities as "Ah Pb Eq", which means it is equivalent to a lead acid of X capacity. So, as above, a big dollar "12Ah Pb Eq" shorai is actually only of 6Ah capacity by design.

I forgot where I was going, but basically, the new battery is the same size, but 1.8kg lighter, 350 CCA vs 120CCA of old, is rated to output that at 0 degrees C, and has a usable capacity of 8.5Ah vs approximately 6 of the old lead acid. Plus the protections listed earlier. I reckon this is a win, and hopefully means that I can use this thing to charge all my devices (phone, torch, helmet coms etc) while out and about without having to worry.  

So yeah nobody has probably read that and it lacks any actual value whatsoever so here's some images so your click wasn't entirely wasted. Can see the configurable terminals which can be moved to either side of the cell. 

Also, check out front sprocket size! 

IMG20210614121451_copy_1600x723.jpg

IMG20210614165455_copy_1600x723.jpg

IMG20210614125501_copy_723x1600.jpg

We sell something similar at work, same as any battery if they sit connected they discharge. The suppler recommends a trickle charger if leaving them to sit for a period of time. If disconnected they should be okay 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chris r said:

We sell something similar at work, same as any battery if they sit connected they discharge. The suppler recommends a trickle charger if leaving them to sit for a period of time. If disconnected they should be okay 

8 hours ago, chris r said:

Fucked if I can make this quote box disappear 

True. Battery tenders are the best thing for any battery and reliable operation. 

With that said, I believe lead acid lose around 5% and lithium ion around 2% in self discharge per month. blockquote widgetlockquote widget