Kimjon - makes reproduction heater control knobs

Kimjon

Tremendous, always wanted to see a cuttlefish mold job... :thumbleft:

Intrigued by the craft pewter, I've got one of these little blokes missing an arm (not a racist, honest) :)
4jrex4g.jpg

Thinking of making a plaster/wax arm and casting one in sand or silicon? Doesn't look too challenging a shape (pics are from Ebay)...
T1lFS5A.jpg

Was looking at making a coffee can furnace and melting aluminium cans, but this pewter stuff looks the business, just ordered some...

• Like 1

Pewter is probably comparable to say die cast, as in  a matchbox car. I think the material itself would be sweet as...just got to find a way of making the mould.

Silicone is used by the more sophisticated user...it was just going to over complicate my use for it, been such a simple little object. For your needs, I'd say it's your only option? Have a YouTube search and see what pops up?

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Wish I'd done tech. Did Japanese instead cos the teacher was spunky and wore white see through blouses. So many horny guys in that class...

(Spam sorry) 

I feel I missed out on my education now

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 08:27, tortron said:

Would pewter be alright for larger items. I want to make one of these with a space for tachometer in it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzM1eCIAICv0wKLU1va9o

My gut instinct is it wouldn't work, unless you did an awesome job of preheating the mould. With a melting point of 230C, and a maximum hot plate temp of ~300C more intricate moulds seem to suffer even if they've got great flow through their runners and out their risers. The biggest thing I've pewter cast with success would be maybe 1/8 of that size with a mould preheated to 190C (MDF ignites >200C). My 2 cents...

On 13/06/2019 at 11:48, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Wish I'd done tech. Did Japanese instead cos the teacher was spunky and wore white see through blouses. So many horny guys in that class...

(Spam sorry) 

I read this and knew it was from you without even seeing the name.

• Haha 6