Spanners E36 coupe + 6.0L LS

spanners

Haha don’t worry I appreciate that the vert life isn’t for everyone!

the current 19s are 19x8.5 ET35, with 235 35 tyres on them. No rubbing at all and I reckon I could lower it without an issue. Not very stancey but I’m fucking over rubbing wheels and dialling in camber to compensate.

The style 32s I had on there were a 215/35 mounted on 18x8 et20 and 18x9 et22 wheels. The sidewalls just touched the guards on big bumps, but honestly I think the 330i deserves much more Tyre than 215. 

I still haven’t decided what to run on the e36 but with a planned 500ish horses I think it’ll be a 245 or 265 in the back.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Generic pic from internet but the 1KZ in my old Hiace (RIP) had the oil filter running at about 45 degrees off vertical like this, that lip below was a part of the casting, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to fab something up out of sheet steel to replicate.

It caught the remainder of the oil from the filter and had a hosed attached that ran down to under the van. Was cool. 

Image result for 1kz oil filter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

V8 valiants have an upside down filter. It doesnt have any clever drain paths so if you dont cut up an old drink bottle to catch the oil it goes all over the engine and floor and exhaust

The other downside is you cant prefill the filter so it takes a couple of seconds of the genie lamp being on/lifters rattling before it fills the filter up itself  

And there's my sharn on that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Haha I’ll think about the dodges but no need to break in, just walk in the front door and start pillaging!

I think I’ll hang filter under the mount like a normal car and just have it on an angle to clear belts and ground and cats eyes.

• 5 weeks later...

Alltorque has it sorted.  Learnt this trick at work as we had a few machines with the hydraulic filters like that and they were BIG. If u didnt punch them the mess was epic.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So this almost seems like a repeat post/pics but it’s not 

Had to get the grinder back out tonight to keep hacking. Ended up going up 100mm above the original arch line. Seems giant but E36 rear arches are quite low standard so wide tyres will need a lot of clearance. The inner skin ended up having a spot welded second skin up that high so was stiff as fuck. Hard to beat into the shape I wanted but with enough sweat and hammers I got it to the point where I could weld it. Welding was hard on thin dirty steel with the mig but got it ok. Will underbody sealer it to stop rust and spray some fish oil into the inside. 

78133376-CBE8-4BEC-8B58-45F2180BF772.thumb.jpeg.d62df01780b3828599c8b5aa4e29584e.jpeg

C25D0908-33CC-4158-9167-BDE59E13FD01.thumb.jpeg.02bc910f4f4459a01eb80f817ba8230d.jpeg

If anyone has experience with bolt on flares I’d love some input. How wide should the flares be based on this pic? Stancebois probably think the tyre should be flush with edge of flare but I think 10mm overhang would save rubbing. I’m just nervous it’ll look shit. Thoughts?

41287AEF-4D3A-40D0-9A9B-CB0415C3E5AF.thumb.jpeg.8742a6420e357699aadc81b59c77a3f9.jpeg

Edited by spanners
Typos!
  • Like 4

Have you considered slitting the arch up in segments toward the body line and pulling the lower section out instead of bolt on flares? 

Don't get me wrong, I love bolt ons but box flares or "wide body" on this would look a lot smoother. 

• Like 1

The attempts I’ve seen at pulling the guards out tend to ruin the body line pretty quickly so I won’t bother trying. I’m not artistic. 

Bolt ons are just for cert really - I’m planning on running felony form overfenders but I don’t want to spent $1800 on something that doesn’t help the car run. Still have a lot of wiring/tuning/drivetrain expenses. I have a theory that changing flare style won’t void cert. Maybe cletus would disagree. 

I did find a cool photo of an E36 with bolt ons but I don’t think mine would actually be that low or wide so I shouldn’t get my hopes up. There’s a possibility that I will fall in love with bolt ons and never get around to changing it if mine looks cool.

77202DA6-81A2-4965-BCE8-8104D5585367.jpeg.d4cf7c533abc423bf52310f4c82e2be4.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, datlow said:

prety sure for a cert they cant contact/rub @cletus?

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear.

Im saying that if I use a 50mm flare I’m nervous it’ll rub, but if I go wider I’m nervous it’ll look stupid. So I wondered if anyone with experience with bolt ons could give me some intuition about how wide I should go. 

The goal for the arches is that they never rub no matter what the loading condition, even in lowest stanceworks knob setting. 

• Like 3