spanners

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/05/2019 at 13:04, kws said:

It'll be a beast with that LS in it! 

I like the cold air box in your above photo, did you make it or is it off the shelf? 

I made the air box. Spent ages so that it fit really well against bonnet. Looked good in real life, and 16yo me said it added 50hp. I reckon more like 40.

The engine had hardly any induction noise until about 6k and then it just screamed. I loved ringing it’s neck just to hear the dort! I hope the LS makes a good noise or I’ll have to put a bunch of Kazoos in the intake pipe to satisfy my ears.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KP_wag said:

Those mounts are lush! Any idea where the shifter will come out? The tr6060 is loooong

Short answer is no I don’t. Engine and box should arrive in about a week. 

I kinda wanted a T56 but for an extra couple of hundy I thought I’d just go the better box. I have my fingers crossed really hard that the shifter is going to just pop straight out of the standard hole in the tunnel. Stranger things have happened! Otherwise I’ll whip out the hole saw and start butchering, or potentially shorten the linkages if that’s a thing. 

TL:DR, I’m going to wing it 

Sweet, is a kickass box so buy and deal with the consequences was my theory also. Depending on what it came out of different applications have different remote shifter positions - all of which are a long way back. You can also put the shifter directly on the box, that makes it really short. Hopefully one of the above works out for you, in my application it needed to come up somewhere in between the super short and shortest long so am gonna have a go at cutting and welding the linkages... Choice project btw, should be white knuckles. How heavy is the e36? 

Yeah shortened linkage sounds like the go. In my experience wit the bmw one I did, it’s not exactly hard. Just need to have a diesel first so you don’t feel so bad about cutting up an expensive gbox. 

My mates 4 door race car with a cage is about 1250 wet, no real weight savings other than removing interior.

Id like to be around the 1300-1350 region wet with the LS but I’m not gonna go for weight savings at the cost of comfort. It’s a street car after all!

330i engine has been a real dick so far. Throwing money at sensors should fix it for a while. Not as fast as I hoped but maybe it needs its Thanos seals replaced. I think the cabrio is probably a whale which won’t help

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 07:59, spanners said:

I made the air box. Spent ages so that it fit really well against bonnet. Looked good in real life, and 16yo me said it added 50hp. I reckon more like 40.

if you still have it, want to sell?

7 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Old Spanners!

Still pesting BMW's. You were one of the first north island os boes I ever met. I remember you under the bonnet of your e34 at nats 11. Trying to bleed the cooling system on the side of the road. 

Fuck you’d think I would learn ay. I have had quite a few since then! Fuck I got drunk that night. 

Ive been in Chch for 5 years now so I’m a mainlander. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spanners said:

Fuck you’d think I would learn ay. I have had quite a few since then! Fuck I got drunk that night. 

Ive been in Chch for 5 years now so I’m a mainlander. 

Ling post,

but I still remember how you looked in the next day. There's people in palliative care who don't look that sick. (Made me feel heaps less hungover )

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

This is a cool build. Ive got into these things as of late for a bit of drifting. Ended up throwing a lot more into an E36 sedan then I ever thought I would. My mate has a 36 coupe with an LS hes drifting up here. Message me if I can help out with any pics etc

20190602_140152.jpg

FB_IMG_1558687431807.jpg