Oil Pressure Senders

bonkas

What do you know about oil pressure sender units?

I am having issues with my brand new ones I just purchased, OEM parts, correct part numbers.

I am getting very erratic readings on my guage, just does what it wants. the workshop manual specifies the resistance I should expect at with engine not running and running - I am not getting that at all. The new sender is showing open circuit at 0 PSI but it should be showing somewhere around 250ohms.

I can post the part numbers when I get home if needed but I am 100% sure they are correct.

The guage appears fine as connecting to ground the guage reads 0 and unplugging the sender wire it maxes out.

As per my wanted thread here:

Are you using a factory guage and sender unit? Or are the sender unit and guage an aftermarket pair? Are you checking at idle? Mitsi's don't do much pressure warm at idle.

Can't remember Lancers having a pressure guage but it has been a long time since I had one. I'll could probably remove and send you a Starion 4g63 one but the engine has been sitting for 15 years so who knows if it still works.

Interesting.. It should be a sender unit for the gauge, not a switch.

This is the direct replacement part number from the vehicle manual... It's also listed as the direct replacement for a Starion which has a pressure gauge.

There is also a Tridon replacement TPS005.

Rockauto also has a listing for the guage sending units and switches on the starion, this is the sending unit (or so it seems): https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=44239&cc=1208203&jsn=411
This also cross references the OEM part number.

Now I am confused if I have the correct part number or all these listings are wrong, or all my senders are DOA...

If anyone can hook me up with the correct part that would be appreciated.

I have e that stanpart ps192 sender on my Ute (matched to factory pressure gauge) works fine

Edit* I even tested it on the bench and it was a range between I think 30 and 90? (Whatever the mitsi gauge was) I think I mentioned it in my build thread

Awesome thanks for the info @tortron I am getting no reading at all from mine, just open circuit when not under pressure.

I guess I will take the plunge on the rockauto sender unit.

I bought my original senders from two different suppliers and used the old and new part number - Still received the same part, I now have 3 units all with the same fault. Well not really a fault if they are switches rather then gauge senders.

On 14/05/2019 at 17:51, cubastreet said:

Always thought oil pressure switches were normally closed so the light comes on when there's no pressure. The one on my generator certainly is.

Exactly what I would have thought also.

@tortron

New sender arrived from Rock Auto - Reads the same as all the other, open circuit....

Will see how it behaves when in the car.

• Sad 1