Slideways' Purvis

kyteler

2 hours ago, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

Do you reckon the engine / gearbox from my Alfa 33 would fit? This photo is from an installation in a mid-engine Porsche 550 Spyder replica.

megajolt_engine_bay_101.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Phwoar thats compact! It'd probably fit with an adapter to the VW transaxle, wouldn't be room to have it mid engine like that one though.

Also, that's fckn cool.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, dabuzz said:

Screenshot_20200403-101334_Facebook.jpg

Haha there it is again. I saw a recent post on facebook of the engine running. I wonder in what state? The guy I knew that had owned it for ages until recently, said the cooling system was so rusty it was like washing out sand but did get it running. The brake seized and he left it for a long time.

I still have mine, hasn't moved. Haven't heard anything from the original guy who built the 7 NZ originals in the 70's. Think I need to give up on him finding any paper work.

I have heaps of things to keep me busy in the lock down but maybe I should have another look at getting the engine started.

• Like 6

On 03/04/2020 at 17:52, ~Slideways~ said:

I have heaps of things to keep me busy in the lock down but maybe I should have another look at getting the engine started.

Yes I think you should. Looking forward to updates on this. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bluebear01 said:

I love this old wedge, such a great shape. Those old starters are a pain, the design means they will disengage if the engine rpm becomes greater than the starter rpm. Makes starting a flooded engine a nuisance. 

I remember this sort of starter on my Mini too. The engine almost starts and bam, the starter kicks out.

Love any updates on this, such a weird and cool car.

If I remember correctly compressions this low on a ford kent engine will make it hard to start, they will most likely come up if you can get it running, I don't suppose a tow start is possible - just to get it to spin over faster?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluebear01 said:

I love this old wedge, such a great shape. Those old starters are a pain, the design means they will disengage if the engine rpm becomes greater than the starter rpm. Makes starting a flooded engine a nuisance. 

+

19 hours ago, kws said:

I remember this sort of starter on my Mini too. The engine almost starts and bam, the starter kicks out.

Love any updates on this, such a weird and cool car.

Ahhh... this makes sense of it! Maybe it would have actually started if it stayed engaged a bit longer.

14 hours ago, mo999 said:

If I remember correctly compressions this low on a ford kent engine will make it hard to start, they will most likely come up if you can get it running, I don't suppose a tow start is possible - just to get it to spin over faster?

I thought about a tow as well, bit hard to justify tow starting on the way to the supermarket for some essentials haha.

Just now, ~Slideways~ said:

Oldschool delivers! What a cool thing, I wonder if maybe one of those was mounted inside and removed at some stage?

At least I know I don’t need it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/vintage-parts/accessories/listing-2595956024.htm?rsqid=e53d334fdec84c6d838f1705684580df-001

are you sure

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, mo999 said:

If you don't want it I will happily buy it off you, did you see the little ball bearing inside that runs around  the track to create a signal pulse?

At this stage I don't think I'll use it, so its probably more use to you. Unless the computer is hidden under the dash or something silly so I can have a play with it, otherwise you can have it for free.

Yep it had a ball bearing inside, cool design. Never seen anything like it before.

Just now, ~Slideways~ said:

At this stage I don't think I'll use it, so its probably more use to you. Unless the computer is hidden under the dash or something silly so I can have a play with it, otherwise you can have it for free.

Yep it had a ball bearing inside, cool design. Never seen anything like it before.

Cheers, if you find any other bits related to it let me know. Will sort after the lockdown sometime.