Slideways' Purvis

kyteler

18 minutes ago, 63Ragtop said:

Love this thing bro, looks like a 70s hot wheels come to life!

Vw engines take a lot of money to make any power. Is the radiator in the rear? I'm thinking turbo suby or a 13b.

Cheers (well I guess that's cheers to Richard Oakes for designing it haha).

It's got a ford 1600 in it now but using the type 1 beetle transaxle, with the swing axles. If I was to redo it I'd want the 'bus' transaxle and IRS. No idea how hard that would be to find in nz.

EDIT: yep radiator in the rear, off to the side and fed from the side air ducts.

Subaru is an option, never really been a fan of the warble though, but a flat four makes sense! There is even a reversed subaru gearbox option to fit but its big money, something like $5k AUD plus shipping. Crazy money. I think you can just buy the reversed crown wheel and pinion actually. 

Right now I want to see if I can get the Ford engine running, so far so good. Maybe all it needs is spark.

• Like 3

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I read somewhere, that the suby sound has a lot to do with the way the zost is from factory. Yeah, aussiegears make them reverse things eh? Bug box can handle maybe 100hp, kombi about 200. Shouldn't hard to find one? Only thing that don't rust!

Can convert swing axle floorpan to IRS. Wonder what year the pan is?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 63Ragtop said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, that the suby sound has a lot to do with the way the zost is from factory.

yep- if you hear one with equal length headers on they sound like a normal 4cyl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 01/06/2019 at 09:49, Yowzer said:

2ZZ on ITBs with a 6spd box would be magical

Smash a MR2 /MRS subrame in the rear and you'll be gold

Looking at it, it would be a pretty big job to fit a fwd subframe in there. It has its merits though since I have the swing arm transaxle which isn't great for handling. But it would make accessing an east west 'fwd' engine quite hard since it would be much further forwards towards the front of the car. It might even interfere with the rear firewall behind the seats as well as having to move the fuel tank. 

Makes the most sense to make use of the beetle transaxle, even though it apparently only handles about 150hp or so. Maybe a 200hp light weight v6 would be ok.

Lots of options to upgrade it to handle more, still a 4 speed though.

------------------------------------------

Not really sold on the Subaru engine for some reason, but it makes sense to be able to use the Subaru gearbox. Probably an expensive job to rebuild the gbox with the reversed crown wheel and pinion.

------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if the vw bus/kombi has the same 4 bolt bellhousing pattern as the beetle/type 1?

I found a dxf file for an adaptor plate for the KLZE to a 'bus' transaxle but my vw knowledge is pretty limited.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon the steering wheel is bent because people will put all their weight on it to get out of the car... Might be worth adding a grab handle somewhere to make it easier for oldies to get in and out. 

Also, gizz a hoon on your rusty penthouse :D . 

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2019 at 13:47, ~Slideways~ said:

I found a dxf file for an adaptor plate for the KLZE to a 'bus' transaxle but my vw knowledge is pretty limited.

Hmmmmmm  :idea:  Please tell me more about this adaptor plate you speak of.....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Truenotch said:

I reckon the steering wheel is bent because people will put all their weight on it to get out of the car... Might be worth adding a grab handle somewhere to make it easier for oldies to get in and out. 

Also, gizz a hoon on your rusty penthouse :D . 

Lol yeah it makes sense, I'll replace it with something better when it comes to it.

The magazine was a solid paper block when it dried so chucked it. Bit of a tragedy not getting to see 1980's boobies. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Hey there... for what it's worth,  seeing the wellington hospital parking sticker on your car makes me wonder if this is the same one that I sometimes saw parked outside the telephone exchange in Lower Hutt. There can't have been too many of these in the wellington region,  surely? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2019 at 20:11, Alfisti said:

Hey there... for what it's worth,  seeing the wellington hospital parking sticker on your car makes me wonder if this is the same one that I sometimes saw parked outside the telephone exchange in Lower Hutt. There can't have been too many of these in the wellington region,  surely? 

If it was red then surely it must be the same one, the other wellington one has always been black. 

Probably about time I gave Stephen another call...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/11/2019 at 11:31, Nominal said:

Nice, Alan Purvis is still around too. I've seen him comment on FB a few times and his son (I think) Shane.

I also learned that someone bought Sterling cars California (the name was something like that) and is starting to manufacture bodies and spares again. 

I should probably follow up with Stephen about those documents... 

On 31/05/2019 at 21:01, 63Ragtop said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, that the suby sound has a lot to do with the way the zost is from factory. Yeah, aussiegears make them reverse things eh? Bug box can handle maybe 100hp, kombi about 200. Shouldn't hard to find one? Only thing that don't rust!

Can convert swing axle floorpan to IRS. Wonder what year the pan is?

I know of a shop in NZ selling these conversion brackets for a good price- and they are about to receive a set of alignment jigs which will be available for hire.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2020 at 09:04, yoeddynz said:

On Facebook mazda k v6 page this fella just joined up. He's in the UK. He's done a conversion with a klde onto the vw box. He's planning on fitting a scooby box for better gearing /more strength. 

FB_IMG_1578167860361.jpg

FB_IMG_1578167851269.jpg

FB_IMG_1578167847223.jpg

FB_IMG_1578167856107.jpg

Not sure how I missed this, very cool. Quite surprised how big it looks in there though! Maybe its just the huge intake manifold design?

I wonder if he HAD to cut that much of the fibreglass away or fit its just for easy access?

I better call Stephen again, seemly less likely it'll happen.

Have been busy not finishing the 200sx wiring, N360 rust and buying an aw11 because, I don't really know... reasons.

• Haha 1