Slideways' Purvis

kyteler

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked with a guy when I was Coachbuilding and he had one of these he restored that was in similar condition to how you found yours. His had VW floor pan and powerplant. Was a maroon looking colour and have spotted it at the occasional car show . 

Do you know how long it has been sitting in the field?  If only around 12 months I have a suspicion it might have come from a Brooklyn house next to me from which it had been sitting outside for years under a covered stored for a friend, If so I might be able to track history that way for you. Could be completely wrong on that lead. 

32 minutes ago, My name is Russell said:

Do you know how long it has been sitting in the field?  If only around 12 months I have a suspicion it might have come from a Brooklyn house next to me from which it had been sitting outside for years under a covered stored for a friend, If so I might be able to track history that way for you. Could be completely wrong on that lead. 

The guy had only lived there 8 months or so, before that he reckoned it was under a tree for a few years. He may have just been guessing though?

Did you see if it was the same colour and JA1428 plate?

1 hour ago, Chris.QCR said:

I worked with a guy when I was Coachbuilding and he had one of these he restored that was in similar condition to how you found yours. His had VW floor pan and powerplant. Was a maroon looking colour and have spotted it at the occasional car show . 

If it had the VW engine it sounds like one of the ones that were built in NZ between '87 and '89 which were officially licenced under another venture where one guy made 4 or 5 (edit it was 7 completed before he went bankrupt due to) but then the Black Friday thing happened and killed the market.

Also there is an unlicenced copy (rip off I guess) made from a Eureka body called a Scorpion around '85 which only made 5 because they couldn't get the official windscreen anymore (5th one had a lexan screen). They look a little different with top rear vent removed, different rear bumper and the front lower section is changed as well as a different dash design. Also the last 3 had 50mm higher bodies for head room, and looked weird haha.

EDIT again: although it could also have been imported from Aus where they made heaps.

I love this project. Such a weird car, and so ambitious considering its state. Most would've run a mile! 

I was tempted to buy the pair that were on the tards for ages but never had the balls. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kws said:

I love this project. Such a weird car, and so ambitious considering its state. Most would've run a mile! 

I was tempted to buy the pair that were on the tards for ages but never had the balls. 

I just visited the guy who owns the rotary demonstrator car. He has some very useful body parts that will make this project a million times easier.

He has offered me the rotary car and spares but it’s not in a great state. It hasn’t run for a long time and probably needs a rebuild, apparently it’s a 13b but thinking about it now maybe it’s a 12a being late 70’s with a carb. I’m no rotary expert though.

It’s using the vw gearbox so ratios are not good for a rotary.

The car got wet and has been partially left to the elements.

Its really not what I went there for but in the back of my mind it makes some sense..... maybe... fck.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, kws said:

I saw the beetle engined one sell for $14k, it was a very nice one though.

What were the ones you saw on TM?

2 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

I saw the beetle engined one sell for $14k, it was a very nice one though.

What were the ones you saw on TM?

I cant find anything about them now and cant recall how long ago it was (must've been late last year), but there were a pair of Eureka for sale with a bunch of parts. I think one was a rolling shell and the other just a shell. One had been modified for custom rear lights. Both were in bits and rough, but  i think there were enough parts to make one good car.

Have t read through the build but will have a good read when I have more time.

Tony lynch used to build these. He ran his lynchbuilt workshop in Wairau many moons ago producing these and doing 305 Bedford swaps, next to the original Robert Harris factory before Robert Harris brought him out to work for him and repair his coffee machines.

He used to run these in local rallys, usually with Ken Vincent as the driver and they used to run these with 12a rotaries and slay if I recall correctly. Was Many years since I last spoke to him and about these in particular. Good to see they're still out there!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Taistorm said:

Have t read through the build but will have a good read when I have more time.

Tony lynch used to build these. He ran his lynchbuilt workshop in Wairau many moons ago producing these and doing 305 Bedford swaps, next to the original Robert Harris factory before Robert Harris brought him out to work for him and repair his coffee machines.

He used to run these in local rallys, usually with Ken Vincent as the driver and they used to run these with 12a rotaries and slay if I recall correctly. Was Many years since I last spoke to him and about these in particular. Good to see they're still out there!

Hey yeah, I found the Tony Lynch link to the car and got in touch. He was happy to help but can't do much about paper work or registration because the guy with the rights to make them did that side. I don't suppose you know Stephen Fleming as well? I've sent a letter to an address which seem like a good fit (yes I know it sounds ridiculous...:grin:)

I found a video of the NZ rotary race car that rolled and then went on to compete again the next weekend which is pretty cool.

I'm a bit worried about the run away costs of a rotary, the rebuild of $10k or whatever is just way out of reach for a 'side project' like this.

• Like 2