Re-powering newish car with old motor?

Kimjon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Did you mean a VS Ute?  Because there's no way they're more than 1600-1700kg unless you're lugging a spare boat anchor or two around on the back, given a VS V8 sedan tipped the scales at a bees dick under 1500kg

Oh, you're right...just googled it. Not sure how I got that so wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Muncie said:

My vy sedan weighs around 1600kg on the tip weigh bridge. Cant imagine a ute would be very different in weight.

Carby conversion would backdate an LS to small block screwdriver tuning.

images (36).jpeg

Sort of, but still have all those sensors that are still required for the ecu to run the motor, crank angle, detonation,  camshaft position, oil pressure, coil firing order, etc etc...all still required to run even a basic carburetor set up. .

Honestly I've got to a point where I'm just over it. Going to sell the SS and get rid of it. I've been throwing money at it all the time to just keep it going. I think its because I'm the unlucky one to own it as it clocks over to the amount of k's where shit all goes bad at once. Hopefully the next guy who buys it enters with a better starting point than me, a more honest description of what's wrong, a much cheaper price and more enthusiasm to finish it. Going on trademe today...

3 hours ago, Muncie said:

Bummer about the ute. If it doesn't sell ive got the diagnostic gear to go through the body modules so at least you could dig a bit further.

It's not difficult fixing those issues that pop up. I've just lost the love for this ute. It's like been stuck in a bad relationship and all you want to do is get the fuck away from it. The ute brings me no joy in my life, unlike other projects cars I've worked on like my Series 1 RX7, or the time I put a 350chev with a 6/71 supercharger into a VK commodore, LT1 in a VN commodore, 1964 Impala...they were fun to do, in fact I'd burn the candle at both ends just to work on them. 

The ute has become meh... 

16 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

fix that cam sensor and sell it.

Fault code was a red hearing. Pending code that went away. I'm still learning this OBD11 stuff...rookie mistake. I have the cam sensor and it can go with the ute if new owner wants it. I've already listed it on trademe today, time to move forwards with life.

• Like 2

On 08/05/2019 at 15:56, Kimjon said:

... this is a big leap into a new world for me...technology. okay, its (OBD11) 30 year old technology, but I've only ever fixed motors with carburetors, not injectors...so it's new to me. Any electronic work was always happily palmed off to auto electricians

Fuck old new cars and their shitty electronics ...

Ahhhhh .... a kindred soul!! 

• Haha 1

The SS sold last night for 4.8K. Someone got a pretty sweet deal, as 3 to 4K will fix all the issues and then they will have a rock solid ute with nothing to worry about for another 200,000km.

Beats paying 12k for one with 250,000km on the clock, which is on the brink of needing 3 to 4k spent on it in the very near future. 

Basically works out at 8k versus 16k...half price.

But for me, I just want to move on and this was my way out of it. Now time to start thinking through all those ideas i have and making shit happen.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...