Re-powering newish car with old motor?

Kimjon

What's the legalities in NZ if someone wanted to put an old motor into a modern vehicle?

For example, say a 350Chev into a Nissan Skyline or a 2010 Commodore?

Apart from requiring certification, and perhaps needing your head read by a physiologist for taking a giant backwards step in technology... is there any  legalities against/preventing doing such a swap? 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/05/2019 at 22:33, Kimjon said:

What's the legalities in NZ if someone wanted to put an old motor into a modern vehicle?

For example, say a 350Chev into a Nissan Skyline or a 2010 Commodore?

Apart from requiring certification, and perhaps needing your head read by a physiologist for taking a giant backwards step in technology... is there any  legalities against/preventing doing such a swap? 

Cheers

https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Exhaust_Gas_Emissions.pdf

My '05 hilux was transplanted with a '97 350 chebby (LT1) and was certed as such. I bought it that way so prolly also need to see a psychiatrist and certainly felt like I needed therapy after driving it for a while as was depressing what a horrible pig it was. Sounded good but

• Like 3

My lt1 with a 6 speed manual drove like a V8 super car. Loved that motor, and with some extractors and a mafless tune...it hauled arse. Smoked any stock ls1 Commodores.

Resized_20180929_114451.thumb.jpeg.d4f2340a7b55cdda92e9e4ceee481ebb.jpeg

A+++....Would definitely trade again:)

Your hilux sounds like fun, maybe there's some unlocked potential yet to be unleashed? At minimum, it should do epic skids?

On 06/05/2019 at 20:06, bigfoot said:

Barra turbo into your SS ute doesn't count as an older engine

Now we're talking. Like the train of thought and where that's going.

However having just spent more hours than I'd care to admit groveling around underneath the SS changing every fucking sensor the LS1 has to offer, after scanning it to find what DTC's where causing the check engine light to come on (pretty much everything), I'm hoping today it runs like it should for the first time I've had it.

Cars are for dicks! Well my mate flea who is a very talented mechanic/engineer always says this, and I'm beginning to agree with him now. 

I ran this process as per Holdens workshop procedure:

I've gotta admit, it did recalibrate the idle and all looked promising for a short while. After all this is a big leap into a new world for me...technology. okay, its (OBD11) 30 year old technology, but I've only ever fixed motors with carburetors, not injectors...so it's new to me. Any electronic work was always happily palmed off to auto electricians in the past. However I'm trying to learn all aspects of cars these days so jumped in the deep end.

On its first test drive it throws up a check engine light (again) after only 5 minutes use!!! Balls!!! Scanned it, fucking cam sensor is now dead!

So that's just about every sensor replacement you can do on an ls1 now.

Fuck old new cars and their shitty electronics. I'm starting to like the idea of that 173 and trimatic?

11 hours ago, Kimjon said:

My lt1 with a 6 speed manual drove like a V8 super car. Loved that motor, and with some extractors and a mafless tune...it hauled arse. Smoked any stock ls1 Commodores.

Resized_20180929_114451.thumb.jpeg.d4f2340a7b55cdda92e9e4ceee481ebb.jpeg

A+++....Would definitely trade again:)

Your hilux sounds like fun, maybe there's some unlocked potential yet to be unleashed? At minimum, it should do epic skids?

Issue with hilux was that it was pretty much drag spec motor in a 2ton brick. Big cam, single plane intake, large runner heads and oversize exhaust which went great up top but midrange was seriously lacking, so was a lazy gas pig as a daily driver. True that It did epic wheelies though... 

Re LS1, I reckon persist with it as will probably be super reliable once you iron out the kinks, have that reputation at least... Is this the candidate for retro conversion? Why not turbo the LS1 that should make all your issues disappear 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP_wag said:

Issue with hilux was that it was pretty much drag spec motor in a 2ton brick. Big cam, single plane intake, large runner heads and oversize exhaust which went great up top but midrange was seriously lacking, so was a lazy gas pig as a daily driver. True that It did epic wheelies though... 

Re LS1, I reckon persist with it as will probably be super reliable once you iron out the kinks, have that reputation at least... Is this the candidate for retro conversion? Why not turbo the LS1 that should make all your issues disappear 

That's the only advantage the VN commodore had, was weight...or lack of. It was only a touch over 1300kg all up. My ss ute weighs 2200kg... 

I'm picking the extra weight is all shit that keeps you alive in an accident, so maybe not a bad thing. But kills power to weight ratio.

The new build, or more me thinking out loud at the moment, involves a sbc into a newish commodore. With a few twists to make it interesting. I'm adding up the numbers at the moment and it's not looking to bad. Just hard to justify removing what's considered a better motor to put in old technology. But yeah...