Nissan LD28 Turbo you done it?

Bugly

Hi folks

I have one gutless Nissan LD28 in my lovable Series 2A, SWB.  I am interested in hearing from folks that have turbo'ed an LD28 back in tha day..  I am huntin a manifold to suit but keen to confirm what Z car or what ever turbo'ed Nissan manifold is a direct fit with minimal work to an LD28?

Many thanks in advance, Bugly...

• Like 2

The basic formula is: 

L20ET manifold 

TD03 turbo 

10 psi 

wind fuel up

The L20ET manifold requires slotting of holes and a bit of port matching. The L28ET manifold doesn't without hogging a shit load of metal out of the head. No.6 does get hot with a turbo so an intercooler and clearing out your coolant passages would be a good idea. 10 psi is a safe level of boost and will give you more kick, decent fuel economy, and only reduce your engine life a bit. The fuel screw on your pump will need adjusting for more fuel but it will smoke like a train off boost. I have heard of people running 20psi but not sure how long engine lasted. 

We've had a shit load of fun with @- i5oogt -'s LD28T Cedric but due to a crap cooling system its been overheated 1 too many times and the engine is a bit sick. So keep it at a normal operating temp and EGT below 650c and you should be sweet. But just remember you will shorten your engine life.  

• Thanks 1

Flush the block, fit the biggest radiator you can, wack in a 78 or 82C thermostat,  run a 1/3 mix of HD antifreeze and a bottle of redline water wetter and you should easily keep the temps in check. They'll take a bar of boost all day as long as the turbo and intercooler are up to the task. Engine life won't be affected if it's in good health and you keep up with maintenance.

• Like 1