Re Chrome Alloy Wheels

Mike Simmonds

I have been looking out for some 17 inch head 40's for a while and managed to pick some up today thanks to a mate that spotted some at a wrecker. Problem is the chrome is in average condition. Re plating seems to be huge money. Only other option I was thinking was to remove the chrome then polish and clear coat. 

Easy chome paint on the net seems to give good results, anyone tryed it on wheels? Does it last? 

Any other ideas? 

Cheers

wouldn't bother with spray on chrome with something like wheels 

probably small things that are not seen all the time i guess would be fine.

would just end up in disappointment or redoing in 12 months 

personally would just get it back to bare alloy then just polish them.

And clearing them can turn yellow or dull or crazy cracking.

this is if doing at home with a spray can etc.

if wanting to do yourself just paint strip them and polish then re polish when needed.

but also a good polish and good paint shop could clear them and they could last depending on conditions  

• Like 1

Don't know about what's available near you but my work has a special lathe set up for machining the face of wheels.

On something like those I'd get blasted, a coat of black paint down between the spokes ( don't worry about getting paint on the faces, it gets machined off), get the faces machined and then a good clear coat on top.

• Like 2

On 09/04/2019 at 21:52, Mike Simmonds said:

This was the stuff I was looking at, unsure how well it wears, though would be reasonably painless to re do every 12-18months if you had to I guess, possibly similar maintenance if i was to polish and clear coat anyway

Shit me, that is impressive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bling said:

Shit me, that is impressive.

I reckon.. Good to know there's a fairly good alternative to chroming, especially on average rusty bumpers.. Lacks the depth of chrome tho, looks a bit more like polished alloy.. Still, I'd tap it

• 2 weeks later...

whatever it is you are chroming (or any finish), it's gonna look shit if you don't polish to hell, chrome is the easy part. Conversely, if you polish well enough, it'll look like chrome even if it doesn't have anything on (if you have good eyes, you can see the kind of blueish finish, which would be chrome and yellow tinge which comes with nickel) - of course the shine won't last without plating or clear coat finish...