Best thing to clean out a fuel tank?

RUNAMUCK

3 hours ago, Adoom said:

Speed up the process eleventeen billion percent by strapping it to a car wheel instead!

I'll just let myself out.--->

I've tumbled things strapped to a car wheel before, let it idle for an hour on stands.  Don't recommend it.

• Like 3

I recently did this on a tank that was pretty rusty and the difference was literally day and night.
Simple process, pop down to bunnings and get yourself some hydrochloric acid (or if you've got a mate whos a concrete guy they will have barrels which I am sure you can poach some off)

Bang in some water. I did about a 30/70 mix (Acid 70) and put in the acid.. It's dangerous shit so make sure you're wearing minimum gloves, face mask and goggles.. Nasty shit if you get it in your eyes.
Let it sit for approx an hour, turn on the side, again on the side etc etc..
Once thats done, drain the solution.
Fill the tank back up nearly full to the top with water and add some baking soda, table spoon by table spoon until the water stops fizzing when you put it in. Shake said water around, repeat the last step
Empty and you're away laughing.

I did have little bits of rust floating around the tank afterwards which was a pig to get out but I just lopped off a piece of garden hose and jimmied up an attachment to the vacuum cleaner and sucked out the rusty particles.

Not sure if this is the proper way or not but it worked for me haha

E: Water before acid, always! As I said, twice.. it's nasty stuff

• Like 3

Anything like a chain will probably bugger the zinc coating.

Like dissolves like, so you'd think a solvent like petrol would dissolve the varnish from evaporated petrol? (+ injector cleaner..)

edit, internet reckons ethanol will do it better

also e85 circulating through the tank for a few  hours appears to clean it

• Like 1