ksr's motorcycle document

kseries.rookie

The Hyosung was beginning to take it's time to start, sometimes first click of the start button but sometimes a few goes..
My current house has a little hill on the driveway which would allow me to bump start it which worked every time but less than ideal..
Easter break meant I had some time to do some things which meant whipping off the carbs, giving a clean and replacing the jets
During this process I also noticed two air leaks. Fixed those, replaced jets/sealsĀ and gave it a kick this morning and it was an instant start up. Job done, pic for thread

image.png.a40c8b6248d6207d2a2f9d60a8f083d1.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, datlow said:

Oh new exhaust for the gn or?Ā 

Iā€™m looking for a muffler for my hondaĀ 

Yeah man, went from 'cone' style to a straight pipe style.
The cone was getting hella rusty. I don't have a photo of the state before I took it off but this was a month before hand so imagine double this

image.png.02f5653e83869dcd76b54dfcdc9c25f7.pngĀ 

to this

image.png.97596cb2a64df8b9770a9174f45e2f6f.png

I picked that one up from trademe for something like $60.
It's literally a straight pipe, no baffles so it is loud but it's still within being able to pass a WOF

AliX have some cheap mufflers, you just have to wait 4 weeks for it to arrive and most likely re-paint it because it's been damaged along the way.
You could always try on my cone shape to see if you like the sound/style? I'm in wellington and love any excuse for motorcycle bants

• Like 1

Ah I was hoping it was smaller Iā€™d than the usual ali ones as my bikes a twin cylinder 125 so theyā€™re only 27mm ID each (twin pipes)Ā 

havent found anything thatĀ costs less than what I paid for the bikeĀ 

• 4 weeks later...

GN was due a birthday and with me moving house next weekend my shed is pretty much packed up so I hijacked my mates workshop/knowledge today

image.png.bdef4bc534fb6175cd9df321866861cc.png

Plan of attack/parts list for the day includeĀ 

- New cam chain
- New guides
- New drive chain
- New sprockets
- Oil and filter
- Headlight mesh install
- New bars
- New mirrors (I didn't like them so went back to bar end, as they looked like a bloody praying mantis)
- New spark plug

image.png.9d95a69e30aa1cc3b0d9db90e2c197ba.png

image.png.4bddb2b4248910f09839b7c44cea4a63.png
image.png.9210ae0b4f276ae06cc0d1a9ef5881a9.png

It was actually pretty clean inside

Yeah so this is what the new bars look like

image.png.b4da747f753a4bc3cbfc5142830a396d.png

It's much more of an upright riding position, it's cool but I personally prefer the down low vibes
Mrs is unsure, so she can ride it for awhile and see if it's just a case of getting used to
No more ticking engine, it sounds like a GN should

Che

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had an interesting situation with the Hyobanger last week..
Starting the bike in the morning as per norm but when I pulled my hand off the starter button the starter motor didn't stop
I hit the kill switch.. Was still going
Turned the key off.. Was still going
So I had to disconnect the battery real quick cause I didn't wana burn out the starter
When I put the cable back on the battery the starter would engage..Ā 

Yep, so the starter is getting constant power regardless of the key situation/kill switch situation

I pulled the fairings off and checked all the cables, they all looked fine.
Pulled apart the RH Switch block to see if there was any shorting there but that was all good
Disconnected some stuff to see if that made a difference (ignition, switch block etc).. nothing

I sent a snapchat out to the boys to see if anyone had any suggestions which some replied with some helpful knowledge but nothing I hadn't already done
Bit the bullet and loaded the bike up to take to an actual motorbike mechanicĀ 

image.png.dd655a0af2ae99fdfd8501e23dcb12db.png

Unloaded the bike, explained the situation
I got in the car and I got a snapchat from a mate. I nearly didn't check it and thought fuck ill check it at home, im hungry I wana leave
but he said "sounds like the solenoid is stuck on bro.. Give it a wack or two"
I had done this.. but obviously not hard enough

Surely enough.. Gave it a couply decent love taps and it was fixed..
Loaded bike back on and head home.

I dunno if I need a new solenoid but they're cheap enough to replace so I will order a new one in a minute but yeah.. No big bill from the motorcycle shop so thats a win

• Like 4

Yeah the insides of the solenoid will be pretty shitty and prone to doing it again/ could go the other way and not engage properly too

either pull apart and sand contacts smooth (prob a cheap cast plastic unit tho) so yeahĀ buy a new oneĀ 

• Like 2

On 28/09/2019 at 15:59, datlow said:

Yeah the insides of the solenoid will be pretty shitty and prone to doing it again/ could go the other way and not engage properly too

either pull apart and sand contacts smooth (prob a cheap cast plastic unit tho) so yeahĀ buy a new oneĀ 

Yeah, I ordered a new one. It was only $35, it should arrive in the next couple of days. Cheers for the advice/confirmationĀ 

• 6 months later...

I realised I hadn't updated this in awhile.. Not much has changed really.

My GB's tank was poked, the seams leaked so I picked up a new one which was internally mint but externally a bit fooked.
I fixed the dents, Por15'd the crap out of the inside to avoid leaking in this one, painted it myself in a glossy winter greyĀ and added some cool racing stripes for additional HP.

image.png.514683c377c1588babeba4d361718691.png

Pretty happy with how the colour turned out with the stripes..
Went for that same colourway with gloss black and matt black.
Just need to put the drivers side mirror on and it's ready for a warrant check after lock down..
It mightĀ be time to flick this one off..

I also picked up a GD250n that had a blown motor..
Got a new motor in it and did a tail tidy..
It had problems with the TPS which I got fixed and went for a WOF. Failed on brakes and fork seals..Ā 
Replaced those/got them fixed and rode to work a few times before the mrs decided she liked the look of it and started to ride it
image.png.670bd6c132003d7bbbf7ab91202ee2a3.png

Shes hapu so her riding days are over for awhile so this will be going up for sale once lock down is over.

A couple monthsĀ before lock down I nabbed another GN250 that I couldn't pass up on. I intend to fix and flip this.
Needed some love/work. The electics were on the piss, the brakes were shot, fork seals were well and truly shot and was just lacking.. well, basic maintenance.
Ordered a bunch of parts and it sat in the shed until I could find time to do anything about it.. Low and behold, had some time over the last couple of weeks to tinker with it.
This was the state of arrival..
image.png.36fcce9c5d74164a811cd48b4a92338f.png

After new brakes, spoke wheels, new bars, new grips, re shaped seat, wiring all sorted,Ā and a whole lot of elbow grease and love.. this is how it looks

image.png.1fa7e2e37a4673de50ce197676e479b8.png

After lock down i'll go for a warrant check, fix whats required if anything is required (seems OK to me) and flick it off..

The red Hyo is in the shop for a WOF..Ā  It failed on tyres and exhaust had a hole in it, so that's locked up at a workshop currently not being worked on which is all good.

Thats really it I guess..
Ā 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, tortron said:

What did reshaping the seat involve? Just shave some off and reuse the of cover? Looks good

Thanks, yeah exactly that man! I popped the original staples off (most were rusty so had to file them flush after they snapped) and attacked it with a bread knife and very gritty sand paper.. Even better if you have an electric bread knife!

I did use a new seat cover (i'll link it below) because mine had a rip in it but at long as you're gentle with your original I can't see why you shouldn't get away with using the original but for the sake of $35 you'd have a fresh looking cover.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/seats-seat-parts/listing-2596776032.htm?rsqid=9a91f7625c4f428bbfdd7e4eb511a81f-001

Just now, japawagons said:

That GB is looking temptingly good. Floats my boat in all the right ways.

The tank colour is rad.

Thanks man, appreciate it!
I hoped it would be a little darker to be honest but it has grown on me and I am happy with the outcome!
I am going to sell it after lock down so ifĀ you're genuinely interested, slide into my DMs and we can chatĀ 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did some shed stuff today

Removed integrated tail light as WOF man says it's a no no
Reverted rear mud guard back to standard (removed chopped one).. Added round bullet indicators and lucas tail lamp for that era specific vibe
image.png.05a01fb7299c5e36f6b21ab426eb8ecf.png

Also installed new valve starter set, manifold gaskets, put OEM air box back in, changed jets, played with air/fuel ratio, removed old gas, added new gas and tuned to a perfect idle.
First time it's idled without pops and splutters. I will never go aftermarket air filters on a carb bike again, if I can help it.. About 10 different jet test runs and I could never get it running right.

I might even take it for a hoon sometime this weekend to blow the cob webs off before going for a WOF
Ā 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Watermark signs back at it again with producing the decals - This time a tail piece for the cowl, the lines and also the number
image.png.2964dee2f1189d2d907646e4fe6ad26c.png

I also slapped on some yellow tint on the headlight.
It really irks me how I spend hours on polishing the headers to a mirror finish and after a 20 minute ride its back to dull..

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Spent some time here and there on the Thruxton over the last week

New parts put on are
Clip on handle bars
Triple tree clamp off an older model Thruxton, powdercoated gloss black
front fork boots
BCC Headlight brackets
Round mirrors (only had one mirror previously)

And then after I went for a shake down ride, I got home and my Motone Microblade aluminium screen turned up with a few bits of dress up bits. I couldnt resist putting the screen on but will get some proper pics when i've made some more changes
image.png.75d6d1cd402dc0ad1b98ad8102d9f538.png
image.png.98c7e65267d3e625ea2238cdb00398b4.png

image.png.31e63733a5d2b3b7a294b352d7398b60.png

• Like 4