UJ's '94 Atlas - the fastest project build on OS

Unclejake

I got this darling to Wellington late last week (after a hasty TM purchase)... and need to send it to a ship Friday 5th April for delivery to my new home in Chatham Island, so by goodness it's going to be done fast, rough and cheap.

Immediate priorities are finding and fitting some missing parts (grill, glovebox etc.), raising the suspension as much as can be done with simple tools, smacking on some decent wheels, mud tyres, and if possible some paint on the chassis and tray.

She's a 2.7 NA diesel so hopelessly slow, and I reckon the clutch is about to go, but apart from that she's OK for the money. 400,000kms, 4x4 and ~ $4k

Five days and counting....

983773911.jpg.6fd8f3a0921a6e91b0f39d9b079f5e54 (2).jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On Friday I managed to lift the front as much as I could (which meant ripping off the upper bump-stops and removing the front shocks (too short) and stressing the shit out of the torsion bars), then I took the wheels and tyres from another ute I have parked up in the bush (a mission in itself).

But yeah, but NAH!

The wheels fit but the tyres are just too big. I could cut off the front footsteps and flip the rear shackles to get a bit more clearance, but time is short so it's going to have to be smaller diameter tyres. I just love balloon tyres so I am sad, but needs must. Smaller tyres it shall be. Hopefully they'll be here by Tuesday 2nd April

I'm on the hunt for some longer shocks. There's some good info on TradeMe from an Australian supplier so that's probably who I'll buy from. They can send the shocks to me on Chatham whilst the Atlas is on the ship. Probably.

20190329_131851_resized (002).jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I would absolutely love to keep those big tyres, but two of them are stuffed, there's no stock in NZ, and to keep them I'll have to cut off the front steps. Believe or not the steps are useful for getting in and out - so I'm going to a smaller tyre. You all have the most excellent taste though, but it's no fun being an adult for me

Today's progress: Paint acquired, a new spraygun acquired (half way through the job I might add), the tray painted in POR15 silver top coat, and the chassis painted in POR15 chassis coat. I also seem to have overspray on my camera. Ha!

Tomorrow's plans - try to get a few more mm of height out of the front right, hopefully underseal the cab, get the new tyres on, fit replacement grille, glovebox, cubby box.

Four days to go. I got this :-)

20190401_175611_resized (002).jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Keen as... but unfortunately absolutely zero free time so I can't soooorrrry darling. Would love to see you and meet your new man too. Let's do it on my next visit. 

You'll be pleased to know the angle grinder came out to provide tyre clearance. I just managed to retain the front steps, but only just.

I'll lift the rear end once back on Chatham.  That shouldn't be too hard there (I hope)