Fj40 chassis rust

gettinroundtuit

Want an opinion on what we should do about rust heave on this p.o.s. land cruiser rotting in my drivewayIMG_20190331_105641.thumb.jpg.143b2ccfb2b9e1cbc82445a9b833d1a7.jpg

This the worst bit, similar on left rail too. 

Nephew found it on a farm in a shed, mad barstard drove it to my place from Winton. He wants to restore the beast

Edited by gettinroundtuit
Stupid spell check!!!

I’d be a bit concerned about all the mud on the inside of the chassis rails too. Probably means it’s rusting from the inside out too.

And with that much rust I’d say it’s safe to say it’s been used in salt water. Lots.

Maybe take a few more pictures so we can get a better look?

Hacksaw blade with the sides ground down was what I have been told works. Get in there and scrape it out. Then flatten with a bit of hard wood and hammer/ press. No heat.  Any hammer marks will result in a fail at inspection time.

Used to work at a truck place, this is what I was recommended by cof inspectors .

• Like 2

Personally, I'd just brush on some POR15 Chassis Coat (available online from Total Body Shop) and be happy. It looks sound enough that I'd drive it.

There's an FJ45 sitting in a paddock nearby me too, but it's pretty had it and the owner probably wouldn't sell any parts (the freight would he hideous anyway)

20181110_190443_resized (002).jpg

• Like 2

best bet would be to get the chassis itself acid dipped. then most likely powder coating. or galvanized but that adds alot of weight onto it 

but the rest of the bits can just be sand blasted and either powder coated or painted.

the most important thing is to get the rust from inside the chassis out and to stop the current rust on the inside getting worse.  

17 hours ago, Unclejake said:

Personally, I'd just brush on some POR15 Chassis Coat (available online from Total Body Shop) and be happy. It looks sound enough that I'd drive it.

There's an FJ45 sitting in a paddock nearby me too, but it's pretty had it and the owner probably wouldn't sell any parts (the freight would he hideous anyway)

20181110_190443_resized (002).jpg

You aren't in wellington anymore, right?

13 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

PS.

The good news is that 4wd Fiberglass in Hamilton sell pretty much EVERY body part for these things- from fiberglass so no rust to ever worry about again.

The bad news is that one of the few parts they don't supply is the chassis.

Will have to go check them out, wonder if they do wider fenders like those available in the US 

On 05/04/2019 at 23:47, flyingbrick said:

Acid dipping that is a terrible idea. He could buy a decent chassis for that price.

yeah you could buy another chassis for that price.

but he did say he wanted to restore the vehicle so either way another one would require dipping or blasting before painting.

34 minutes ago, gettinroundtuit said:

Has been suggested to the boy to get fibreglass replacement panels too.

As for the chassis, wait & see. The tin arsed shit is likely to trip over another better one, as he drives a stock truck round Southland.

does he have access to a hiab ? he could try prying the BJ45 from around the corner

• 1 month later...