Diffs

johnny.race

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been mentioned yet that the bigger the gearset, the greater the driveline losses? 

I've heard tales of cars doing slower E.T.'s after going 9" from BW diffs. 

The two pinion bw75's are piss weak junk though. I've seen many many many of them thow in the towel. 

Back in the day dad's XD work ute used to eat one about every 9 months. His Val has put quite a few two pinion ones to the sword too.

• Like 1

Would always be the spider gears that let go wouldn't it? 

The ones I've broken have all been subjected to teenager activity,  ie big one wheel peels till the spider gear melts a bit and it and the pin goes blue and says yeah nah I'm out of here next time you drop the clutch  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cletus said:

Would always be the spider gears that let go wouldn't it? 

The ones I've broken have all been subjected to teenager activity,  ie big one wheel peels till the spider gear melts a bit and it and the pin goes blue and says yeah nah I'm out of here next time you drop the clutch  

I always thought it would be an axle that lets go in one of these but then again I might be a little axle fixated/biased. I have no real world first hand experience with BW75's. This all makes for interesting reading. In all honesty, most of the damage I have seen in the stuff I am asked to fix or modify has come from shock loading (I guessed you'd call it) brought about when power meets hook.

But then that said, I reckon when a certain et/mph is reached, then by nature of the beast you need to get you there - everything is stressed to destruction at some point. I've seen heads out of rides that go out the backdoor at around 200 and their stuff munts.    

• 3 months later...

His paint doesn't shine anymore and he hasn't got an un-dinged panel to his name. He's runs leaf springs in the front and is almost topped out at the legal speed limit. 26 years young and still the fucking business! 

Coon diffs. Thought of you @igor :))

P7101762.JPG.7428c46208c2ee2fb4a637561c791362.JPG

Hey @yetchh I had to go back and check those pics you posted earlier. Two of these diffs feature vented rotors. I'd seen the later type before but not the cast iron type. The car was an XC by the looks of it. They are like your ones aye? It was stripped and had been fucked over by the loader, but XC as far as I could tell. The later one was an XD and the drum one was out of a ute that was either an XB or an XC as far as I could too. The old stuff is still out there, just gotta look wayyy harder now.

P7101765.JPG.ad2c4cdeb82ab14f4b569bc8749ac07a.JPG

P7101763.JPG.bd3e18c12ca9d4a5ab2734220ecd9f93.JPG

All of them measured in at 1550mm outside to outside give or take a few mm either way. I have got a couple of 9"'s to do so have been tuned into BW/Ford sorta stuff of late. Stay warm.

• Like 1

Yeah that's them, late xb had them also.. strange about the xd, I was of the opinion that xc and xd/e had the same calipers.. Although there are two types I think. 

After our earlier discussions they look more like xf.. 

Hmmm, maybe I got the XD part wrong. The only distinguishable part to me was a rear tail light and it looked like from what i remember as being XD. I'm not a Fordy guy and only know then by body shape pretty much well. Did the later ones (the next ones) have XD-ish type tail lights also? The car had been munted by the loader and digger before I got told about them. Of note, the later one has a link setup and not leaf. Would that say i was wrong thinking it was an XD I was looking at? When did the coons go to that 4 link?

Good chance it is 25 spline. 

I used to look for xd-xf ute or panel van diffs to get 25 spline lsd centers to put into valiants, utes often had 3.23 ratios, sedans if they were lsd were usually 2.77 which had a different offset ring gear mount surface which didn't work for any other ratio

• Like 2