Diffs

johnny.race

I have a feeling that xe/xf have the discs on the outside of the axle as opposed to the xc which is on the inside which could mean the calipers might be different, pretty sure the disc's are the same, from ea onwards I think the discs are solid? 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, johnny.race said:

A quick questionnaire for you Mr Brick. Caliper design - integral handbrake mechanism or is it the 'Banksia' type ie. has a little brake shoe setup happening inside the rotor? Caliper position - front or rear? Rotor design - solid or vented? Are you saying that to your knowledge and based on what you can see ... there has been no modification to your diff and it looks like the entire setup is bolt on up and let rip? 

I'd love a pic of yours if you could. Especially showing where the backing plate bolts to the diff housing. Cheers.

I only threw it together to make sure it all worked.. hope i didn't miss anything.

These the only images i have

20150719_111518.jpg

20150525_073318.jpg

20150712_121437.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

@johnny.race have you had much to do with 8.8 ford diffs?

No mate, not had anything to do with them actually. But ... I do have one in the pile from memory. I grabbed it after I saw how well your one turned out and read something saying that it was pretty much well the replacement for the 9 Inch. So I got one with the best intention to pull it apart and learn about it ... but never did. So yeah bro.

• Like 1

I went looking today. I found set of exactly the same setup as that guy on TM is selling as a straight bolt on to a 9 Inch. The rotor specs in at being DBA 109. This equates to this setup coming from a BW78 that came out in an XE or an XF. They could also be from an XD and i measured wrong due to their only being 1mm difference between DBA 108 (for the XD) and this one DBA 109.

555190098_P3141590(Large).thumb.JPG.486964833909d5b22e31a137fd13c08e.JPG

I found some housing ends that have come 9 Inch Fords and from off pre AU coons. The one on the left is the BW item. The pair in the center are the big (early) bearing housing ends that use the 1/2 studs. The pair on the right is another pair of big bearing ones but that use the 3/8 studs so is a little big later/newer.

Fat chance the little BW end is going to fit any of those big bearing Ford ends. Bolt on my arse.  

P3141594 (Large).JPG

• Thanks 1

@flyingbrick Did you make your own luck bro? How come there are more holes showing in that caliper bracket when its mounted on your diff than when they were laying on the carpet? Did that center hole have to be made larger also? I have no small bearing ends here to check so had to check the BW against specs stated by aftermarket. It might be doable but its certainly not bolt on. Just saying from what I can glean from what i have and what I read. The bolt holes are near spot on but the bearing on the small Ford is larger than the BW and then there is the brake offset thingy. ( I actually measured and guessimated that a 13mm wide spacer might make it all work but then its only a theoretical guess) Would like you to clarify things for me so I am clear on matters. I still reckon its an urban myth for the most part but need (lol! - Need) to know the details. Its a passion of sorts.

49 minutes ago, johnny.race said:

@flyingbrick Did you make your own luck bro? How come there are more holes showing in that caliper bracket when its mounted on your diff than when they were laying on the carpet? Did that center hole have to be made larger also? I have no small bearing ends here to check so had to check the BW against specs stated by aftermarket. It might be doable but its certainly not bolt on. Just saying from what I can glean from what i have and what I read. The bolt holes are near spot on but the bearing on the small Ford is larger than the BW and then there is the brake offset thingy. ( I actually measured and guessimated that a 13mm wide spacer might make it all work but then its only a theoretical guess) Would like you to clarify things for me so I am clear on matters. I still reckon its an urban myth for the most part but need (lol! - Need) to know the details. Its a passion of sorts.

Well spotted, has a laugh when i read ya post, had been that long ago.

Holes were only re drilled to rotate the bracket 90 degrees so that they weren't mounted directly above or below the axle.

I do not recall any offset problems may need to check that one later!

1 hour ago, johnny.race said:

@yetchh Mate, I reckon that from just looking at the calipers in the pics - yours and mine ... they are different beasties and won't interchange. 

I'm guessing this anyway.

Just been doing a bit of light reading and I take it back, your correct.. Xe/xf aren't a direct swap, even to an Aussie 9" but the disc is interchangeable.. 

@flyingbrick Cheers man. Plus I am guessing that center hole has been bored out too? I know its been awhile, haha. But I'd like to know please (sometime) I'm just trying to get my head around part of my chosen craft that I don't have much to do with. The OD of a small bearing ford is roughly 72mm where as the BW comes in at 65mm I measured today. So i am wondering what you might have done/did. a.

3 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Just been doing a bit of light reading and I take it back, your correct.. Xe/xf aren't a direct swap, even to an Aussie 9" but the disc is interchangeable.. 

Cheers bro, this is what I have always thought. And ta for the pics. An eyeopener for sure. I bet those fuckers don't grow on tree's anymore.

• Like 1