Nissan 180sx speedo with Dakota Digital

~Slideways~

I'm having a problem getting my 180sx speedo to work with a Dakota Digital SGI-5E and the Toyota R154 speed sensor.

The speedo wiring looks simple, 4 terminals:

12v 

IGN positive

Ground

2P

The R154 sensor is a 3 wire:

12v

Ground

Output

I'm using a Dakota Digital SGI 5E, I am getting a pulsing LED indicating it is getting a signal from the speed sensor.

Dakota Digital (DD...)support guy said I should use output 3 (there are 5 with differing outputs to suit most speedo's) and said to test DC Voltage on output 3 and 4 wihtout the speedo being connected. I reported back with  7v and 14v and this should be fine.

I have two problems:

1. the DC voltage on output 3 is fine but as soon as I connect the SP2 speedo wire it drops to zero volts. I thought this might be a grounding issue but I tried manually grounding the gauge and the DD to a big shared ground wire. But it made no difference.

2. With ign on the speedo slowly creeps up to 20kph and stays there. I thought this might mean a bad solder on the speedo board. But it all looks fine.   

I'm not sure what else to try, the rev counter works fine along with the other factory gauges.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Hmmm I think I might have the speedo's wiring wrong. I think maybe '2P' might be an output to the Nissan ECU rather than an input. And the one that I thought was positive 12v (it does have + on it) might be the signal wire.

Just if I could read Japanese, but I'll test it soon.

Yeah, the Google translate app can use the camera but it's a bit hit and miss so if you use it and it keeps changing the words and none make sense then you can spend a bit of time with the handwriting app and it's a little more accurate.  

For anyone that might come across this, the main issue was bad solders on the speedo's board, not visibly bad to the naked eye though. I resoldered 80+ that I could get to and it now works.

Guess that's 29 year old electronics for you.

And 2P (Yellow wire with green strip) was not the input, it looks to be an output of the speed reading sent to the factory Nissan ecu.

The correct input has '+' and some Japanese writing on it. I used a translating iphone camera app which tells me it is: "Powdered curry for making of sauce"  

The wire is Yellow with a Blue strip.

• Like 2