Stu's 4agte 85 EP71 Starlet and 4age 84 AE86 Levin

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update time.  With the 86 I wanted to try and use CAN wherever possible as I haven't used it before and if it goes wrong its only my car compared to someone else's.  So in the above pictured pile of junk is a Spartan3 CAN wideband with the ADV sensor, an ECUMaster CAN-EGT amplifier, and a Maxxecu CAN-PWM module. Eventually I'll get a CAN-GPS module and a possibly a dash but that will be a loooooong way off. 

I've started with the PWM fan speed control and as mentioned above, with the help of DaveScienceTM @Roman and his fancy 3d printer I now have a mounting block that fits to the underside of the battery tray.  This will do for now but I have in mind a two piece mount so it has a cover.  Anyway, wired up the module, relay, output and can circuit including terminal resistor which is inside the sealed off deutsch plug at the bottom.

20211030_113439s.jpg

Mounted up under the battery, 60amp fuse is on the side, can bus runs through the front then parallels with the chassis wiring under the guard and into the cabin.

20211030_115500s.jpg

And sorted out the fans themselves:

20211016_144008s.jpg

And then, with the help of Dave we got the data streams roughed together and the fans running with varying speed:

fans-setup.jpg

There is still some sorting out to be done on the data streams as the PWM module transmits an internal temperature, amperage load, and an error state, which are showing but not in the correct scale yet.  Still learning so it might take me some time to sort out but its a promising start.  The whole reason for the variable speed is that the battery is quite small (will eventually be a lithium one) and want to limit the load where possible, plus ramping fan speed is kinda rad...

Till next time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Another cool thing about rampable fans.

Instead of instantly on/off and shock loading your closed loop idle. You can gently ramp in the extra alternator load using a timer or whatever and it will help keep engine speed steady without a jolt.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, also found another hole in the NA 4age EP71.  Fuck I hate bodywork.

Everything else is looking good though so hopefully in the next month or so it will be close to ready to paint.

More rust.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...