Nick's Datto 1600

NickJ

Choice, another trick is to mix dry ice in Acetone.  The dry ice will sublime and leave the acetone at -78, not as cold as liquid N2 but with a higher head capacity it will suck the warmth out of anything.... extremely dangerous so only under adult supervision kids... 

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, nzstato said:

Choice, another trick is to mix dry ice in Acetone.  The dry ice will sublime and leave the acetone at -78, not as cold as liquid N2 but with a higher head capacity it will suck the warmth out of anything.... extremely dangerous so only under adult supervision kids... 

Acetone is likely the better choice, I was nervous the Leidenfrost effect would make LN2 ineffective as it prevents serious liquid cooling of anything at room temp if you can't fully submerse it. 

The way it worked so well I actually wonder if a bag of frozen peas would have been just as good!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mof said:

@NickJ

Mig argoshield?

Come get my bottle. My welder is broken and fucked if I'm taking it back near full.

Yep, Coregas Argoshield..... Buy from Bunnings..... open on the weekend they said....... 

I'm hoping I can get a bottle from Blackwoods when they open on Tuesday, but if you've got a bottle i'll happily empty it for you :)

59 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Co2 for me. Works fine. Its all about how you stick your tongue out when welding.

I'm already reliant on sticking my tongue out to direct the bead, adding another variable might end up with slag on my favourite welding jandals!

Due to some seriously questionable life choices, getting to the CO2 outlets during 'normal business hours' doesn't work for me, hence i'm stuck with a top shelf product from a rock bottom supplier. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On shrinker/stretcher I've had this one for yonks, just switch the jaws over. Have had it bolted to the bench but changed to a vice mount with a chunk of angle. Seems to work fine for flanges etc. I do use a longer handle than it came with. A stand one with a foot pedal would be 'better' but this works for me.

P1070505.JPG

• Like 1

I've got a cheap vice mounted stretcher/shrinker. Happy enough with it, did the trick for what I needed it for. I used a jack handle on it to make things a bit easier.

You're welcome to borrow mine for a bit if you want to see how well it works for you before you buy one.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 20:15, nzstato said:

If you haven't seen it already, check out this channel on various tips to dress your panel up nice.

Cheers! Plenty of relevant info in there, really need to get off my butt and make a slapping implement, paddle? So many gems in his videos, just difficult  how long they are, he's at Bob Ross levels of calmness!

On 15/11/2021 at 20:26, Nominal said:

On shrinker/stretcher I've had this one for yonks, just switch the jaws over. Have had it bolted to the bench but changed to a vice mount with a chunk of angle. Seems to work fine for flanges etc. I do use a longer handle than it came with. A stand one with a foot pedal would be 'better' but this works for me.

P1070505.JPG

Thats the exact type i've been looking at, but is something like this with more bite, oval jaws and a pedal worth the extra coin? 

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/S2264
Main.jpg

9 hours ago, Benno said:

I've got a cheap vice mounted stretcher/shrinker. Happy enough with it, did the trick for what I needed it for. I used a jack handle on it to make things a bit easier.

You're welcome to borrow mine for a bit if you want to see how well it works for you before you buy one.

Hmm, thats a good offer! i'm a week or two from really needing them, i'll reach out for sure if I can't decide, thank you!

The deep throat shrinkers do have some extra capacity in hard to reach spots.  Depends on the price difference?

I need to make a decent slapper too, but you can get buy by bending up a worn out bastard file - leaves some little marks so you can follow where you are.

44 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Cheers! Plenty of relevant info in there, really need to get off my butt and make a slapping implement, paddle? So many gems in his videos, just difficult  how long they are, he's at Bob Ross levels of calmness!

Thats the exact type i've been looking at, but is something like this with more bite, oval jaws and a pedal worth the extra coin? 

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/S2264

Hmm, thats a good offer! i'm a week or two from really needing them, i'll reach out for sure if I can't decide, thank you!

The small ones are fine for making curved flanges, just depends on what you need it for.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...