KerryTGIs 1988 Hilux

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Otodat said:

Oh yeah, your regulator shouldn't be hissing, except when gas passes through when you are welding, might have a leak there. Are you using straight argon or argosheild?

Straight argon. Yea it hisses quietly as soon as I open it. I've checked the fittings and they're tight, maybe it is a faulty unit

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nominal said:

For the reg, spray some soapy water around and check for leaks. You can waste a lot of gas with leaks (I know)

I'll try this tomorrow. The main thread shouldn't need tape right? It has an o ring on it

Would usually use argosheild for gas which is argon mixed with carbon dioxide as it works out a bit cheaper and lasts longer, co2 is cheaper again and lasts longer as co2 is stored as liquid  but leaves a bit of green slag which needs to be cleaned off.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Otodat said:

Would usually use argosheild for gas which is argon mixed with carbon dioxide as it works out a bit cheaper and lasts longer, co2 is cheaper again and lasts longer as co2 is stored as liquid  but leaves a bit of green slag which needs to be cleaned off.

I'll look into that for the next bottle thanks

Tried the soapy water trick and couldn't for the life of me find a leak despite an audible hissing. Everything is tight, even the gauges and the bung on one side. The sound is definitely from the regulator itself and not the hoses. Cant work it out.

10 minutes ago, tortron said:

someone on here had it leaking from the capillary inside the gauge itself

That's interesting because the l/min side isn't zeroing despite being at the right orientation. It wasn't something I picked up on when I first used it but could be the fault. I wonder if boc will send me just the gauge, I'm still within warranty.

20210103_153455.jpg

4 hours ago, Nominal said:

That was me, but it was pretty obvious it was leaking a lot.

If I crank the gas right up, the welder itself hisses like fuck. My brother seemed to think a leak anywhere could cause the regulator to hiss. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've done fuck all welding and I've hemorrhaged gas, that i am sure of 

43 minutes ago, Srstarlet said:

I've had 2 regs, both from boc, leak from inside the bottle pressure gauge. Swapped first under warranty 2nd time I just blanked the gauge off and haven't got around to replacing it yet

You'd expect the soapy water trick to work in that instance though, right? 

I'm leaning towards there being something loose inside the machine itself and the hissing at the regulator is just the gas passing through. If I turn it right up, the sound is loudest at the machine itself.

I'm tempted to take the cover off and look in there but i don't want to fuck up my warranty

11 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

You'd expect the soapy water trick to work in that instance though, right? 

I'm leaning towards there being something loose inside the machine itself and the hissing at the regulator is just the gas passing through. If I turn it right up, the sound is loudest at the machine itself.

I'm tempted to take the cover off and look in there but i don't want to fuck up my warranty

Yes, plenty of evidence it was leaking in my case.

I found the problem

This is the inside of the connector to the welder.

You can see a little brown spray coming from one part of it. I gave it a slight nudge with a spanner to tighten it and it just about fell off.

20210104_110106.jpg

For the learning to spot weld stuff and things. When I find a good setting for doing a particular type of weld, I write the settings on the side of the case with a vivid. Then I don't have to figure it all out again in 6 months.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what is the error that causes this slight dipping into the weld? I'm not overly concerned about it because it's the floor but I would like to fix what I'm doing wrong before I get to the more cosmetic parts

20210119_200542.jpg

Its the metal heating and then shrinking.

you can minimise this by doing your tacks far apart, so theres only a little heat in one area at a time, Also by using a compressor and air gun to cool the metal off inbetween tacks

sometimes you just have to use a hammer and dolly to stretch the metal back out

The good news is that it usually shrinks lower than the surrounding metal, so you can hide it with a little body filler. Dont worry, its ok, unless its a polished baremetal car everyone does it

• Thanks 1