Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

36 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

This thread is such a rollercoaster of emotions, I love it and it inspires me for my own Patrol chassis based project, but your work is so much better than mine and you achieve so much so fast... 

Also makes me want to pull the chassis back apart to have it blasted. But I genuinely don't think I have the time if I want to have it complete on the timeframe I have allowed myself. I'll probably just end up Raptor coating it when I do the tray, and then pouring a whole lot of wax/fish oil or whatever down the chassis rails. 

Anywho, as you were. 11/10 work.

Dude your thing is fucking cool, you can always strip it down later and give it the love.

I only coated mine like that cos I am the absolute worst at paint in the world, I have no love for it at all. It was always going to be a better result this way. Anything you do to coat the chassis will be way better that anything I could do for sure.

Getting through it seems easy to me, it is a combination of factors tho;

My kids are old enough that they have their own lives and interests

I built a workshop for my business on our property, this means it is right there ready to go, plus I have many many tools to help.

I do not have a timeframe constraint

A lot of things are 'work expenses'

My wife is extremely understanding of my dumbfuckery, mostly because she sees how much easier I am to get along with when I am fully occupied

I am old and have done some shit before, I have learnt that if you are in the flow state you dont need to rush, but still seem to smash shit out.

• Like 9

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha I genuinely believe that nobody loves paint, but like many things in life the result is hopefully worth it. 

Cheers mate, didn't mean for my post above to sound so whiney/complainy. 

I am getting a solid amount of time in the shed as I am currently single/no kids, but just like a lot of things it takes 10x longer when you have to figure it all out as you go, rather than just doing it. But have been doing about 4 hours a weeknight in the shed and about 10 hours a day on the weekend.  
All part of the fun really but adds to the stress when you are working to a loose deadline (Nats 2020, not going to be the end of the world if I don't get there in time, but nothing motivates me like a deadline). 

One of the things that holds me up a fair bit is having to outsource because lack of tools (e.g. bandsaw for accurate cuts) or knowledge ( can weld, but don't trust myself enough for crucial parts like the body mounts). Luckily I have access to engineers and good welders through work.
Am trailering the chassis in to work tomorrow and the body mounts will be welded up, and dropping the tray to our sandblaster at work to be blasted next week. So they'll be good things to tick off. 

• Thanks 1

I just looked through your thread again, you have already cared 100% more than I ever could about that paint, it will be sweet.

Yea Im about the same as you timewise, I do 2-4 hours in the evening, full days on the weekends if I can manage it.

Conservatively I estimate 700 odd hours on this so far, and a few more to go.

• Like 1

That chassis is a work of art, here I am putting off wire brushing the surface rust on mine and here is yours looking like its going on display...

My Kinugawa is fine after 1000's of km's (well it should shouldn't it...), although it is one from before the original Kinugawa guy changed to Mamba so who know if the quality is the same.

I have had a trawl through TM and there are a couple of potentials. The problem is that they are all designed to have the exhaust go down into the turbo then backwards to the exhaust, then the inlet airflow out heads towards the front. My setup will mean both need to go backwards. The evo 4+? TD05 style have an angled exhaust outlet that may help a lot with this, I will need to do some more digging..

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2360055999

1063545960.jpg

13 hours ago, ThePog said:

I have had a trawl through TM and there are a couple of potentials. The problem is that they are all designed to have the exhaust go down into the turbo then backwards to the exhaust, then the inlet airflow out heads towards the front. My setup will mean both need to go backwards. The evo 4+? TD05 style have an angled exhaust outlet that may help a lot with this, I will need to do some more digging..

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2360055999

1063545960.jpg

these are a twin scroll turbo so you will need to make sure you have the cylinders paired (tripled?) up correctly in order to have the pulses correctly times and split between the two scrolls.

6 hours ago, fuel said:

these are a twin scroll turbo so you will need to make sure you have the cylinders paired (tripled?) up correctly in order to have the pulses correctly times and split between the two scrolls.

Yea I have wondered about this, I can use the standard manifold as it puts the turbo pretty much where I want it. It is a 3-2-1 and would get cut off at the two pipe section. It would mean the one side of the scroll would get the front 3 cylinders, the other the back 3.

The firing order is 142635, so I think that would work ok..

On a 6 cylinder I imagine it is less of an issue than a 4.