Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

How the hell did they get the silver / black top names if the silver or black top is meaningless? Sounds like the whole designation is meaningless tbh, and it's nothing more than a construct of Barry's who like to sound like they know what they're talking about

• Like 2

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

How the hell did they get the silver / black top names if the silver or black top is meaningless? Sounds like the whole designation is meaningless tbh, and it's nothing more than a construct of Barry's who like to sound like they know what they're talking about

This is serious stuff in patrol 4x4, don't belittle it;

JFF45 Import Safari are a special mix of components.

For Australia we have

Silvertop 8/87 to 7/95 Valve recessed pistons 28mm pin 950 grams piston and pins. Regardless of rocker cover colour.

25mm camshaft followers, Vac pump on alternator. Short squirters. Rear oil seal press in 86mm.

6 bolt crankshaft 61mm PCD, 58mm front oil seal. 18mm long oil pump gears.

Blacktop 8/95 to 5/96 flat top pistons 28mm pin 1070 grams piston and pins.

26mm camshaft followers, Vac pump on alternator. Short squirters. Rear oil seal press in 86mm.

Blacktop 6/96 to 9/97 flat top pistons 30mm pin 960 grams piston and pins.

26mm camshaft followers, Vac pump under IP. Short squirters. Rear oil seal press in 86mm.

GU N/A 10/97 to 11/2002 flat top pistons 30mm pin 960 grams piston and pins.

26mm camshaft followers, Vac pump under IP. Short squirters. Rear oil seal Unitised 86mm.

6 bolt crankshaft 62mm PCD, 58mm front oil seal. 18mm long oil pump gears.

GU Turbo 02/99 to 7/2007 flat top pistons oil gallery cooled piston 1150 grams piston and pins.

26mm camshaft followers, Vac pump under IP. Long tube squirters. Rear oil seal Unitised 96mm.

7 bolt crankshaft 72mm PCD, 60mm front oil seal. 21mm long oil pump gears.

The change to the vac pump is very difficult to confirm seems there is lots of conflicting data even in the manuals of AUS supply.

The 25mm camshaft follower has a very different camshaft fitted to the silvertop. It is quite different to the camshafts fitted after the actual silvertop model. This has quite a bearing on why the turboed silvertop produces torque and power differently from all models after. Also added to this the head for the actual silvertop is different for the black top even the 28mm pin blacktop it also has different precomb which have a slightly smaller chamber volume and shape.

I can confirm this outright it seems all 26mm followers camshafts are the same timing and profile right through to the T model engine. But there is 5 part numbers for the TD42 engine world wide, which is interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2021 at 20:15, ThePog said:

Ah I maybe should have been clearer, both types came with both colours of tappet colour....

And @yoeddynz, that means you need to strip it and measure gudgeons to be really sure....

Fuck that.

I'll find out what it is one day when it sends a rod through the case after I try to pass a nissan tiida (insert any other typically slowly driven modern car) on a slight downhill using gravity to aid punching the Bedford beyond its normal safe working speed. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ThePog said:

I had a look though some of the entries, I am quite gratified you think it's interesting enough to compete. I don't know how well it would do against some of those no rules american builds though.

You get to choose your categories to compete in, definitely a worthy candidate in my mind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mof said:

Suggest lose that dodgy lightweight loop on the rear and put on one of these http://www.jost.nz/fileadmin/user_upload/jostnz.co.nz/pdf/bpcph20wmk.pdf

That loop is OG factory goodness, so yes I'll probably replace it at some stage....

I have been thinking about converting the towbar to a socket type, as well as modding the front bar the same. That way I could potentially mount a winch front or back as needed.

It might be overkill.