Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

7 hours ago, Unclejake said:

Unsure if you've sorted your cooling out or not yet, but I stumbled upon these and thought of you:

Cheers, cooling is well and truly sorted now, plus I have my own stash of those in the container anyway...

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So that engine rattle is still there. So fucking annoying as the engine is probably twice as loud at 100kmh as anywhere else. Stink 

I thought it might be the low range lever rod that runs under the cab, but a quick check with some cable ties eliminated that.

So yesterday I had a dig in the container and dragged this boat anchor out.

0i7DQyU.jpg

6NCDQFz.jpg

You may notice the lack of a piston. This is because the previous owner hydraulic'd it and snapped a rod. The crank seems ok tho. Somewhere, but I don't know where, I have a spare rod I shall endeavor to find.

The empty bore had a fair bit of surface rust on it, as did the top of the tappet holes. But a quick zizz with my hone showed the bore good enough for a rebore I hope.

When lockdown clears I will drop it all to my engine place to get it checked...

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Having the receiver hitch front and rear with cunningly planned wiring means a single winch can be used for recoveries in either direction, with the winch just set up on the cradle. Was something I thought about with my project but decided to just go with the more usual bumper mount as I had the space. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Having the receiver hitch front and rear with cunningly planned wiring means a single winch can be used for recoveries in either direction, with the winch just set up on the cradle. Was something I thought about with my project but decided to just go with the more usual bumper mount as I had the space. 

Yea thats basically the idea although i would probably run it off a battery box.

4 minutes ago, Mof said:

Do you have a snorkel? I don't remember 

Edit; I just thought of it, but it relates to above post 

No, but the wading depth is about 1100mm, I probably need to mod the airbox so dirt doesn't get directed into the inlet off the front wheel, so I might increase the wading depth at that point.

A mate did exactly this with his winch, from memory he had to rebuild the winch cradle or modify the mounting system because the standard receiver hitch doesn't like the bending from from the cable not being in line.

He commented that keeping the winch clean in the back was a bonus, other than the amount of space it took up which lead to it getting left behind...

And two short blocks dropped off at the engine shop;

4DIW4Fs.jpeg

I took both in because the new block wasn't all that good after all, the two center pistons were siezed from overheating and had to be knocked out forcibly. The bores might be saved but maybe not. The crank had some unhappy scuffing and a serious seal face wear groove so I don't know that it's an improvement.

I have a rather large pile of bits to pick through though.

LbTmZ9S.jpeg

In the meantime to liven things up I added some bars to my deck in preparation for a potential canvas canopy a bit later...

X0Es6nz.jpeg

PL7FWEm.jpeg

GhWoVZc.jpeg

That's my man Kips rig, he has been telling me the many ways that it is broken right now;

No power steering

Broken front diff

A bad drivetrain noise somewhere

All the joints in the front are poked and need replacing, they creak and pop

The tracking is badly out because of all of this.

Still goes though.

I have been trying to convince him it would be cheaper to upgrade to y61 axles and steering box than to fix all that. He would get the big brakes and stronger axles etc.

• Like 9

On 05/10/2021 at 21:34, ThePog said:

A quick jog south to St Arnaud

Did matey boy Alister get a bit excited when you rocked up into his yard in your truck? 

His mum makes a good coffee and biscuits and they have a huge collection of mugs around the walls of the kitchen. 

5 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Did matey boy Alister get a bit excited when you rocked up into his yard in your truck? 

His mum makes a good coffee and biscuits and they have a huge collection of mugs around the walls of the kitchen. 

He was playing it cool but seemed to have a lot of questions ha.

Didn't get get a tea and biscuits invite, but I enjoyed perving at his yard and collection of wrecks...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThePog said:

I have been trying to convince him it would be cheaper to upgrade to y61 axles and steering box than to fix all that. He would get the big brakes and stronger axles etc.

Please stop, my wallet hurts every time Y61 axles are mentioned... let me live in denial a little longer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Please stop, my wallet hurts every time Y61 axles are mentioned... let me live in denial a little longer. 

You won't need them, just speed hole everything in sight, drain half of the fluids out etc.

• Haha 1