Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

17 minutes ago, Mof said:

It's good to have that centre bearing a little off, 2-4º. It'll make the uj bearings at the box do some rotating. Centre bearings are never spot on 

Yea I didn't think it would be a major, the amount it will be off probably isn't enough to cause any serious cyclic vibration, and while the normal driveshaft flanges also won't be perfectly parallel, again it won't be by much at all.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ThePog said:

Yea so that engine...

It actually only needs a crank and a conrod, plus bearings, seals and gaskets. Trundles have cranks for $250, con rods for 80. So I reckon for $500 - $600 I can sort it out.

i can pick it up from Trundle and drop off in mid october if necessary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Valiant said:

People do all kinds of weird shit, they probably took the turbo off, forgot to plug the hole and went for a drive.

Is that an oil cooler behind the filter housing? 

Yea that's pretty much my theory too.

The Haynes manual talks about the oil cooler there, but as far as I can see it is just a twin filter setup.

6 minutes ago, Valiant said:

People do all kinds of weird shit, they probably took the turbo off, forgot to plug the hole and went for a drive.

Is that an oil cooler behind the filter housing? 

Do you want to buy a really really old loop frame ladies bike in mint mechanical order Pete?

6 minutes ago, Valiant said:

Haha, thanks but no. Does it have 28x1/2 wheels?

Have a look behind the filter housing, if it does have an oil cooler it's a great place for bits of old bearing to sit then go through your new bearings once it's running again.

28" Westwood style.

I will check behind that housing then, it was on the list of things to do but it might have been forgotten...

1 minute ago, scooters said:

just wonder if that oil cooler is worth a quick pressure test too with air / soapy water. It will probs come to nothing but it wont hurt to be sure its not doing something dumb moving oil/ water between compartments. 

Right, so cooling system water flows through that manifold in the oil, that makes more sense.

It should be sweet, the coolant that came out was pristine, but I will have a good look. Chur.

On 14/07/2019 at 19:51, ThePog said:

Then some time honoured 'frame it up in solid round then smash sheet metal onto it' fabrication.

j3qB9FU.jpg

W1Jtogn.jpg

Odd question, but what size round did you use here? And did you have a bender you used to shape it or did you just do it by hand? 
Needing to do a similar thing for my project.

15 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Odd question, but what size round did you use here? And did you have a bender you used to shape it or did you just do it by hand? 
Needing to do a similar thing for my project.

Think it is 6mm, its easiest to cut 2/3rds of the way through when you want a bend then weld it afterwards. Pretty easy to tweak it then.

• Thanks 1