Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently trying to decide how to upgrade to a diesel 4wd, looking for a decent off-road abilities for heading up the eastcoast valleys but also can be set up for camping with the missus. This machine keeps popping into my head as fitting most requirements. Keen to see your camper attachments when they get started

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I'm currently trying to decide how to upgrade to a diesel 4wd, looking for a decent off-road abilities for heading up the eastcoast valleys but also can be set up for camping with the missus. This machine keeps popping into my head as fitting most requirements. Keen to see your camper attachments when they get started

Make me an offer, but the answer will be no. Emphatically.

I can't decide whether to frame the camper in steel, use freezer panel, or make my own custom sips panels from ally/foam/ply.

I have found from the bus that you get some condensation where the steel framing is, so want to avoid that.

It needs to be pretty light. It will also have a hard pop top so it isn't too much of a brick on the road, but has decent headroom.

I'm looking forward to that build.

• Like 5

No worries there, I really do need to put "No modified drivetrains" into the requirements, its just hard to find a capable 4wd that is useable, so far putting a roof tent onto an SUV body is the most workable option, just it would be nice to have more headroom in the back for when you just want to chill for a bit and be crunched up.

Landcruiser troopy or Defender are about the only two options at present

A high roof safari would be the go, they don't have quite the same level of Toyota tax but would be comparable performance and reliability. I see about 3 for every 80 series up here, so they are doing something right. The drivetrain is much chunkier than the Toyota's as well.

I don't know about defenders apart from the thought of owning one makes me screw my face up a little bit.

16 minutes ago, ThePog said:

A high roof safari would be the go, they don't have quite the same level of Toyota tax but would be comparable performance and reliability. I see about 3 for every 80 series up here, so they are doing something right. The drivetrain is much chunkier than the Toyota's as well.

I don't know about defenders apart from the thought of owning one makes me screw my face up a little bit.

High roof safari definitely wins on the comfort factor, i'm slightly nervous of getting one stuck, I can get the Niva out by myself with a highlift, those granroads are monsters! The few i've seen for sale sound like value for money.

We had a S3 on the farm when I grew up so have bit of a soft spot for them, kinda like a Niva but with tweed..... Drove one the other day and was quite happy with it, just sparing the cash for something with less interior trim than the Niva is seriously questioning my sanity.

• Like 1

Been tidying shit up endlessly, trying to get the power steering pump not to leak etc.

The only vaguely interesting thing I have done (and even then only slightly) is to make this gear knob out of a bit of my old piano that we smashed up. 

Pi6R60G.jpg

I talked to cert guy but he is not keen to come back to Nelson, this sucks a bit as it means I may have to ship it to Wellington to get it checked. This will be a pain if I need to do anything to it for the cert.

In the meantime I will get it to a weighbridge and get a warrant check done, then wonder where the money will come from...

• Like 6

If it is at all helpful, I have a TD42 PS pump you can have? I stole the reservoir off the top to use in my setup, but the pump itself is still there? Depends where your leaks are coming from. 

Let me know anyway and I can send it to you if you want it.  

PITA abut the cert check thing. Where is the closest one to you if you stay on the same island?

1 hour ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

If it is at all helpful, I have a TD42 PS pump you can have? I stole the reservoir off the top to use in my setup, but the pump itself is still there? Depends where your leaks are coming from. 

Let me know anyway and I can send it to you if you want it.  

PITA abut the cert check thing. Where is the closest one to you if you stay on the same island?

Yea man, I would take that for sure, I will pm my addy etc.

The nearest cert for scratch built is in Chch, but my man knows the project and is (I hope) on board with what I have done, has seen all the reports etc.

I would be $950 to get it there, but probably about the same to get him down here, so probably no real difference.

It depends, if he has to do a recheck it gets ugly. It would be a lot cheaper for me to fly up for a few days to sort things.

Fingers crossed there is nothing too ugly.

My family is in Taranaki, so assuming it gets legal I would probably go for a visit while I was on that side of the ditch.

6 minutes ago, ThePog said:

It depends, if he has to do a recheck it gets ugly. It would be a lot cheaper for me to fly up for a few days to sort things.

Fingers crossed there is nothing too ugly.

My family is in Taranaki, so assuming it gets legal I would probably go for a visit while I was on that side of the ditch.

I think it would be pretty rare to get a cert on a 1st inspection, but you might get lucky. When I took the Mercury in there was a fair list of minor items to attend to.

I'm about 1hr north of Wellington and could loan space/tools if you like.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I think it would be pretty rare to get a cert on a 1st inspection, but you might get lucky. When I took the Mercury in there was a fair list of minor items to attend to.

I'm about 1hr north of Wellington and could loan space/tools if you like.

Cheers man, I might take you up on that if it comes to it. I have family in Raumati so would be staying there, but I doubt they have tools or any space..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ha you are such a cunt. Hows that LTD coming along? Nearly done?

I have actually thought about this as it is pretty obviously not great for off road, I am going to make an ally skid guard that will protect that lip and move shit out of the way before it gets wedged up there. Originally I thought i might need to create that duct all the way to the front, but I don't think I will need it now...

And anyway i will just need to do some skids in the paddock to muddy it up enough to make it look like I have been off road.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2