Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

6 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

How were they to deal with at Vinz? Deon has left and I have heard from a couple of people that the place has gone a bit 'mean and grumpy' since.

They seemed fine tbh. I did go in a while ago to ask them about the process and if I needed to do anything which probably got them on board. Plus my natural charm and winning smile probably helped.

• Like 4

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, sidewaysickness said:

Congratulations! 

I really want to see this flinging mud high into the sky from all 4 wheels, black smoke pouring from the exhaust, even better if there's a picture of you completely covered in mud other than a wide pearly white smile. 

46 minutes ago, tortron said:

burried to the sills

light bar on:thumbleft:

damn i want one

Once I sort the cooling to my satisfaction and have a general sense that it wont shit itself in the middle of nowhere I will do this. The dude who I use as a contractor has a big rig Safari and knows all the trails around Nelson and is keen to go out.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, cletus said:

I like the fact that you could not find the right vehicle to suit your needs so you just made one.   

Good work!   

Yea I am not sure it was an intelligent thing to do, but fuck I enjoyed the process, and it is a pleasure to actually get to use it. Seeing people's reactions to it so far has been great too.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Righto, I have been driving around a bit and some things clearly needed lovins;

The power steering was still leaking (fucks sake!) and I realised it was actually the lid of the reservoir not sealing properly after I had fucked with it. I sourced another reservoir and slapped it in unmodified and it seems to be sorted. Probably.

Mostly there have been shenanigans around the cooling, I wasn't happy with it cycling on the fan constantly so I thought I would have a go at solving it. The custom rad that cost lots of money wasn't cutting it so I found a cheap standard safari rad that I thought would fit. This had the benefits of completely filling the hole which might allow some ducting/sealing/airflow to take place. I also thought I might fit another fan if needed.

4xiMdHR.jpg

Sat the bitch in place and made up some brackets. Someone suggested that fitting it upside down would mean the outlets were better placed so this is how it sat.

I had to cut off the rad cap pipe and I stupidly decided to silver solder it rather than lead, this was dumb;

ASaQaDN.jpg

KUpBCmg.jpg

So I bought a new rad and got it modified properly by the rad dude. I had a much fatter core so that's no bad thing.

UtD6Cfx.jpg

hrEJBrv.jpg

I made lots of bits to duct air in, including some fins on the door;

ih7asxL.jpg

zLSmEHl.jpg

As part of all this I messed with the stainless pipes to make them work, plus I added a second drain point underneath so both sides would drain rather than pissing lots of coolant out on the floor when I pull the pipes out.

I had discovered that filling the coolant was a bastard of a job as it basically had to drain through the thermostat to fill the engine. I decided to add a fill point on the lower pipe to solve this. Unfortunately this meant that any air burping from the system ended up collecting in the fill pipe and making weird things happen with the overflow.

A couple of days ago I added a pipe from the top of the fill cap back to the thermostat housing, this has settled this shit down so it works properly so I am no longer stressing out that I have cracked the head.

rHk8HZC.jpg

All this ended up with almost no significant change in the cooling situation.

I tied some ribbon inside the fins then taped an old cellphone in place so I could video it and try to get a feel for where the air was going. It sort of looked like it was coming in the side and dropping out the bottom, so I blocked off the bottom and tried again. There wasn't really enough difference to make a call, so I ended up pulling the 300mm fan (which probably wasn't doing much) out of the intercooler and strapped that on as well. I set it up on a switch so I could run it all the time to act as a wind substitute. 

This was a definite improvement, things are cycling way less.

I'm still not really happy though, I'm starting to wonder if the pump just isn't flowing enough through the system or there is too much of a delay between thermoswitch and cooling action. Maybe I need a thermostat that always let's a bit of flow through all the time?

Give me some options bitches.

Edit: I forgot to add it's still fucking epic.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Is that fan up to the task of cooling a big lump of diesel? Wouldn't it be better to run an au falcon setup with dual fans? 

I have a 600mm fan running off the thermoswitch, plus a 300mm fan running all the time. There is plenty of cooling...

I assume there is at least one push fan we can't see?

EDIT: yip i see your reply.. 

I feel there is not sufficient positive air pressure on the 'in' side of the radiator to force the air to turn 90 degrees with any sort of vigour..  I would tape some icecream container or similar bits to the side flutes to better catch/direct air and see if it makes any difference. Then send the info to @roman to graph for us. 

Also a pull fan is always going to be a bit meh without a full shroud as it will want to spill/ drag the easy air from the area at the blade tips. 

1 minute ago, mjrstar said:

I assume there is at least one push fan we can't see?

I feel there is not sufficient positive air pressure on the 'in' side of the radiator to force the air to turn 90 degrees..  I would tape some icecream container or similar bits to the side flutes to better catch/direct air and see if it makes any difference. Then send the info to @roman to graph for us. 

Also a pull fan is always going to be a bit meh without a full shroud as it will want to spill/ drag the easy air from the area at the blade tips. 

Yea the pics don't show the second fan, that was a late addition.

The fans are reversible, do you reckon setting them up as pushers would be better?

There is definitely not enough natural flow through the rad, I was hoping the 300mm would flow enough to do this. There is enough room for a bigger fan..

I have had a think, I like @mjrstar's suggestion to improve the ducting, this would be pretty easy to set up. The air is getting in there but just washing around, so forcing it right up to the rad is going to be better.

I kindof want to shroud the fans now as well, the reason I mounted them like that was to give as much chance of airflow as I could. Two fans on the same side might be hard to do tho.