Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

I did have it timed up by the local mechanic, I can borrow the tool on Monday to check again now I know the rules and have done more research.

There is a filter on the inlet, I will check this tomorrow. When it is hand primed there is a lot of fuel pumped through the bleed point on the top of the pump so I would be surprised if it is this. My spare pump is missing the filter.

I seem to be getting a decent phut from each injector now when they are all cracked. I have a spare set of injectors I can chuck in there to see if it makes a difference.

Probably tomorrows job now, I am thirsty.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Valiant said:

MOF whats the valve in the return line called that holds a little pressure in the pump? I had a similar situation with a truck and it turned out that that valve had been left out by a previous person

Pressure relief valve, I bet that was a head scratcherĀ 

Edit; we've had one of those stuck open because the banjo that holds it was over tightened, twisted up the bolt shaft and locked the plunger solidĀ 

7 hours ago, Mof said:

Where is the second solenoid located? In the return line by chance?

https://www.patrol4x4.com/threads/injection-pump-solenoid-on-return-line-td42.401739/

If it's that ^ it should probably be left disconnectedĀ 

Yea it's on top of the pump on the outlet.

My spare pump does not have it, I will try disconnecting it and see what happens.

The FB patrol page boys said I needed both powered to run. I am pretty sure I tried without it powered up with no joy, but I'll do it again to check.

I might pull it to see if it is normally on/normally off and make a call based on that. Maybe now I have pumped all the air through it is messing with the pressures... I can swap out the normal bleed of the other pump I reckon.

That makes sense based on that thread, cheers @Mof

There is a lot of info about this shit on the interweb, most of it opinion based and conflicting...

So a frustrating day. I took the cab off again for best access and jury rigged the starter, glows and power to the pump and started methodically fucking with things.

I can't swap out the no top solenoid stuff from my other pump as the thread is the wrong size. I may have to spend some time definitely finding out what this does.

First I checked everything was the same without the cab on and my nasty starter hack, it was.

Then I checked there was no dumbfuckery with the pump or lines or solenoids or glows, not obviously.

Then I swapped out the injectors for a spare set I had, and rebled everything, this was slightly better.

Then I marked the pump position and rotated it around a bit to see if that made a difference. It sort of did, but only enough to get it staggering along at very low revs for 5 or 10 seconds or so, and this worked only with me pumping the throttle continuously.

Then I ran out of battery.

It still feels like it is not getting enough fuel, but it phuts pretty well when bleeding it and after a while some diesel made it to the exhaust outlet.

A bit frustrating, hopefully I haven't fucked up something inside the engine..

Also I am super glad I swapped the injectors cos when I took the intake off to do this I found this in number 4 inlet;

FjX0QRk.jpg

Feel free to ridicule me. I need to feel exactly how much of a cunt I am.

Anyway I am charging the batteries overnight, we will have another lash tomorrow after work.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Is that a chunk of sanding disc?

Yes it is. Not the most appropriate thing for an inlet tract. I am fucked if I know how it got there, maybe it got wedged in the inlet pipe when I was building it, but I cleaned it out before assembly, maybe it just got pushed one way then the other...

Oops.

• Thanks 2

We have had similar issues , couple of things to try and check are the guazes in the first banjo fitting at the lift pump for obstructions, also check the fittings on the filters between the tank and pump.

might pay to chuck a clear hose between the tank and pump to check for air bubbles.

the lift pumps can suck in air and Iā€™ve found small pieces of wood stuck under the diaphragm allowing fuel to flow back to tank.

check the tank breather is clear.

Make sure the battery is fully charged to ensure the solinoid is seeingĀ full voltage .

nice project, itā€™s going to be a beast .

4 minutes ago, Get it done said:

We have had similar issues , couple of things to try and check are the guazes in the first banjo fitting at the lift pump for obstructions, also check the fittings on the filters between the tank and pump.

might pay to chuck a clear hose between the tank and pump to check for air bubbles.

the lift pumps can suck in air and Iā€™ve found small pieces of wood stuck under the diaphragm allowing fuel to flow back to tank.

check the tank breather is clear.

Make sure the battery is fully charged to ensure the solinoid is seeingĀ full voltage .

nice project, itā€™s going to be a beast .

Thanks man. Yea I get a consistent reaction from people who come into the shed, it starts with 'what the fuck is that?', then 'That is fucking awesome' with lots of nodding. It is great to watch...

As part of the checking over stuff I looked for the filter but could not find one, I gently poked something right down that hole and met no resistance.

I was going to start checking the outlet flow to make sure that second solenoid was not messing with things, but I might put the clear pipe in the inlet as well just to see whats happening there.

I also dont know if the fuel screw has been messed with, but in my head even if it is screwed right out it should still be getting some fuel at full throttle..

I will have another go once the batteries are charged, see if it helps.

After that I will check the pump timing, and after that I will swap the pumps over. So still a few more avenues to try...

If it makes you feelĀ  any better, I once machined the com on a big electric motor from a popular mountains ski lift...

And left a big rag stuffed into a difficult to view cavity.

There could have been people stuck on lifts and it could have been my faultĀ :blink:

So your little mishap isn't that bad.

I don't know a lot about diesels but I'd be looking at camshaft and fuel pump timing.Ā 

I once had an engine with numerous twink marks on the cam pullies, crank pully and the belt itself. It ran okish but was down on torque, turned out the cams were 4 teeth out..Ā 

Yea spoke to the local Safari foamer, he said it sounds like timing. I went and borrowed the timing DTI from the garage today and will check some things.

The timing marks were consistent with the manual, plus I took pics, however I still may have fucked it up, we will see.

I also might take that second solenoid out of the equation, I spent a couple of hours last night but couldnt find a definitive answer on how it actually works. I will need to mess with the plumbing a little bit to make the setup exactly like my spare pump, but best to do that I reckon.

Yea so I have modded that solenoid setup cos there was an extra pipe leading from the inlet straight to the outlet, but into a separate spot in the outlet banjo that was separated by an oring.

The solenoid when it was unpowered would let fuel flow directly back to the outlet. Fuck the complication, I sealed off that pipe, removed the o ring that separates the banjo so now the outlet is 100% the outlet. I'll time it up tomorrow as I have the tool, go through everything else with a fine tooth comb, then see what goodness arrives.

• Like 5