Dynafari shit errday

ThePog

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ThePog said:

On a side note one dude crawled right under it for inspection and solemnly informed me that it was illegal due to how I had welded the cross member brackets on, I suggested that the fact it had literally just been certified might be a contraindication of that, but he wasn't having a bar of it. We had to agree to disagree...

Please paint us a picture of what this guy looked like.

I'm picturing a 40-50 something Barry with either a Ford logo'd cap or a cowboy hat sitting proudly atop a very fine looking mullet indeed.

Did he suck wind through his teeth as he was under your truck and then pop his head out and excitedly tell you the news which he had hoped would fuck up your day - all because he is just one of those cunts who are so super jealous that they can't create such  lovely vehicles themselves so they just have to knock other peoples efforts instead?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Please paint us a picture of what this guy looked like.

I'm picturing a 40-50 something Barry with either a Ford logo'd cap or a cowboy hat sitting proudly atop a very fine looking mullet indeed.

Did he suck wind through his teeth as he was under your truck and then pop his head out and excitedly tell you the news which he had hoped would fuck up your day - all because he is just one of those cunts who are so super jealous that they can't create such  lovely vehicles themselves so they just have to knock other peoples efforts instead?

This is scarily accurate, he was a 50 something with a cowboy hat and thin mad scientist in lieu of a mullet. 'Careworn' would be a nice general descriptor.

Although TBH that describes nearly everyone at the swapmeet so maybe not such a great guess after all.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, sidewaysickness said:

Are you trying to trigger me? coz its working! haha

Hopefully old mate at the swap meet doesn't have a whinge and cause more trouble for you!

That was absolutely done for you specifically. I'm happy now.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing results of new pump. They can often make a hell of a difference, because they flog out so gradually you never even realise how crap they get. The old mechanical shit can be absolutely buggered and they'll still run good enough to ignore. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yowzer said:

Looking forward to seeing results of new pump. They can often make a hell of a difference, because they flog out so gradually you never even realise how crap they get. The old mechanical shit can be absolutely buggered and they'll still run good enough to ignore. 

Yea I mean it runs and pulls and chugs lots of black at low revs, so hits the mark for most TD42t owners.

I am not a rolling coal sort so it was always in the list, the engineer in me won't allow such wildly varying fuel ratios.

Interestingly it also ran cooler with the different timing on the old pump so I have high hopes for the new one as well...

20 hours ago, Yowzer said:

Looking forward to seeing results of new pump. They can often make a hell of a difference, because they flog out so gradually you never even realise how crap they get. 

Other than stripping a pump down is there any way that one can check the condition of a pump while still attached to the engine? 

Our td42 seems fine but for what I think is one tappet that needs closing up a bit. Pulls well, doesn't smoke. I guess run it for a few months and gauge the fuel/oil usage first? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Other than stripping a pump down is there any way that one can check the condition of a pump while still attached to the engine? 

Our td42 seems fine but for what I think is one tappet that needs closing up a bit. Pulls well, doesn't smoke. I guess run it for a few months and gauge the fuel/oil usage first? 

The main push for me is getting the AFR right with the turbo, If yours is NA and not doing anything stupid then I wouldnt worry too hard. I'll sell you my old NA pump cheaps if you want a spare - apart from the clatter it seems absolutely fine. The NA engines are so low stressed that I think any issues would show up well before actual failure as smoke or heavy fuel consumption. As a check I have been getting 12.5l/100km, I kindof expect that to improve a bit after swapping the pump...

• Like 2

Cheers- I'll get to know more about the condition of the engine once we clock up some miles on it.  I was just wondering if there was any tell tale signs to look for but its all internal so not much to look at eh.

Our engine has two filters (115 and a 416) is that usual for the silver tops out of safaris or more of a commercial thing?

10 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Cheers- I'll get to know more about the condition of the engine once we clock up some miles on it.  I was just wondering if there was any tell tale signs to look for but its all internal so not much to look at eh.

Our engine has two filters (115 and a 416) is that usual for the silver tops out of safaris or more of a commercial thing?

That means it's a later blacktop motor.

Fuck I have turned into a safari barry now.

Edit; Just to cement this, you need to tell me if the vac pump is in the back of the alternator or in the timing cover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

I'll have another look and get back to you. But I've been told that silver tops had twin filters when used in commercials 

They all have twin filters, the silvertops have two the same size, the blacktops went to different sized filters.

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Are you sure on that? My Silvertop had two different filters

Well let me barry for a second with my extensive research on this matter, I shall bullet point to make it more pedantic;

- The most obvious distinguishing feature between silver and black is the position of the vac pump.

- Silvertops came with black tappet covers, Blacktops came with silver tappet covers, my engine is a silvertop but has a black cover.

- The oil filter assemblies are interchangeable, yours might have been swapped out. Silvertops definitely came out factory with 2x the same, Ryco Z115 or the like.

I can probably add more bullet points ad infinitum, although if you get on Patrol4x4 for a few hours like i did all of it will look very similar to whatever I wrote.

• Haha 1

And anyway cunts, can't you see that my barry on this is so thin it's two dimensional? Maybe all the jap import ones were different, all the reading I have done is on oz based forums. I have only looked inside two engines....

All I was trying to do was enjoy some nice internet based knowledge superiority and you fuckers have ruined it. I shall drink beer now in protest.

And by the way that new pump is now 60% installed thanks to this evenings efforts...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1