Non cross-flow motors - what is out there ?

Flash

In my opinion trying to widen the box will compromise the current seating arrangements as these old vehicles aren't very wide. I also need to shoehorn the radiator into the same space or risk compromising the state of the art cabin ventilation system which consists of a hinged flap in the floor that picks up fresh air as it enters the chute leading to the radiator. It works surprisingly well.

20190209_174505.jpg

20190209_174449.jpg

• Like 1

love the ventilation system! Couple more pics I found of the 2.0 EB engine. This is the Focus ST version, with alternative alternator mounting. Might just fit in that box?!

https://fordstnation.com/member-chad-albums-focus-st-2-0l-ecoboost-engine-picture2110-ford-focus-st-ecoboost-engine-14.html

edit: just saw your post re column shift, that would make this engine (and many more) super difficult to achieve! You will almost certainly need to make a custom cable operated shift mechanism to mate with whatever gearbox you decide to fit.   

M-6007-20T.jpg

I also have the gearbox for the 2y, it has side shift levers so it lends itself to a column shift setup. The engine came out of a dyna, but I have the same engine in my townace ute which is quite small. Plus I have the driveshaft etc.

The townace is no rocketship but it gets along ok. It is pretty low tech compared to some options, but this is probably a benefit in my book.

Edit, I can take pics and measurements, pm me if you are interested.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, browndog said:

love the ventilation system! Couple more pics I found of the 2.0 EB engine. This is the Focus ST version, with alternative alternator mounting. Might just fit in that box?!

https://fordstnation.com/member-chad-albums-focus-st-2-0l-ecoboost-engine-picture2110-ford-focus-st-ecoboost-engine-14.html

edit: just saw your post re column shift, that would make this engine (and many more) super difficult to achieve! You will almost certainly need to make a custom cable operated shift mechanism to mate with whatever gearbox you decide to fit.   

M-6007-20T.jpg

Yep, I've seen a few attempts at adapting selectors on standard gearboxes and getting one to shift reliably is way above my capabilities. The Toyota Hiace and Ford Econoline / Mazda Bongo vans did come out with a column shift 5 speed option which makes this option really attractive. I'm led to understand that the Ford / Mazda will mate to an FE motor and the Toyota box gives you a number of Toyota engine options. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like you don't have much height there,  with some custom headers I reckon you'd fit a OHV 3T in there, which would be awesome in a van, they are crossover, but the headers and intake would sit low. You might even be able to fit an SR20 from a serena in there with the roll under intake manifold it you're up to the EFI?

• 4 weeks later...

Are the mounts on the front of the engine or middle? 

I have a sunbeam rapier engine in my commer van with a lexus 6 speed. If doing it again I would look at a nissan vanette diesel with 5 speed as it has a cable shifter. I have one if you want one. Either that or enlarge the dog box and use a holden red. 

A Daimler V8 will fit length wise but probably not width. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dmulally said:

Are the mounts on the front of the engine or middle? 

I have a sunbeam rapier engine in my commer van with a lexus 6 speed. If doing it again I would look at a nissan vanette diesel with 5 speed as it has a cable shifter. I have one if you want one. Either that or enlarge the dog box and use a holden red. 

A Daimler V8 will fit length wise but probably not width. 

Thanks for the extra info on the Nissan Vanette and the offer. I'm in Aus, so I'll probably need to source something locally. Just got to finish a house reno before I can crack into the van.

• Like 2