Non cross-flow motors - what is out there ?

Flash

So I've got a limited width engine bay that can't be widened without major surgery to the two chassis rails which currently sit just below engine head height. Current engine is a pre cross flow Ford Consul unit of the style that came out standard in the Cortina MK1 and Anglia 105e.

Have been thinking about other commonly found non cross-flow options and my list is pretty short thus far.

• Zephyr 6
  • Holden 186
  • Holden 202
  • Toyota 3Y
  • Toyota 4Y

Would really appreciate it if anyone out there knows of any other options that can be added to the list.

Thanks for the additional suggestions everyone. Keep them coming.

Cletus, a Thames is exactly what I am putting the motor into. The only difference is mine is the van rather than the ute, but it's the same chassis rail and engine box layout.

• Like 1

I always prefer to keep engines 'in-house' if possible, ie ford in a ford (except when talking Barra's, they can go in anything). :thumbleft:

Just wondering, if you go with the old 'coon 200/250, are there bolt-on options from Mustang 6 origins? (thinking ignition, cams, heads etc for better breathing/reliability). Not sure just how similar the US and Aussie sixes are... 

45 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

I always prefer to keep engines 'in-house' if possible, ie ford in a ford (except when talking Barra's, they can go in anything). :thumbleft:

Just wondering, if you go with the old 'coon 200/250, are there bolt-on options from Mustang 6 origins? (thinking ignition, cams, heads etc for better breathing/reliability). Not sure just how similar the US and Aussie sixes are... 

They're quite different in terms of bolt-on stuff; I had a bit of a look for my XB, and adapting stuff involves heaps of fluffing around. You can buy a bit of stuff out of oz for the pre-xflow 250 but the dollars creep up relative to output, especially in comparison to a xflow or later upgrade.

• Thanks 1

jeep 4.0

fuel injected so it works properly

goes forever

dirt cheap

parts also dirt cheap

jeep AW4 is actually an aisin A340 so can probably swap bellhousing around to fit to other a340s or maybe w series manual? (AX15 manual was actually a W55 or something)

can anchor large container ships if required

• Like 1

here's my suggestion: 2013-ish FG Falcon Ecoboost. These are a 2.0 all alloy 16 valve Turbo, 270hp and I can't remember how much torque (lots!) coupled to a ZF 6 spd trans.  You should be able to pick up a wreck for not much, I have seen a few go through NZ auctions for cheap. The engine is very short, and relatively narrow, turbo and inlet manifolds are tucked in tight, although the alternator hangs out a long way. And best of all, you are not cross pollinating! :) 

2013-FG-Ford-Falcon-G6E-EcoBoost-two-litre-motor-turbo-630x417.jpg

• Like 2

Had a rummage in the back of the workshop yesterday, theres a holden 202/3.3 blue motor we picked up down country some time back its complete with a dellow bell housing,  Clutch, W50 toyota g'box, driveshaft , speedo cable and a set of extractors, this may be of use or if any of you other fine fellows would be interested, let me know

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the info provided thus far.

So, in order to give everyone an idea of the limited space that I have available for the new motor I thought I would post a quick few snaps together with some basic measurements.

First off a snap of the engine box which measures 320mm wide and 820mm long at the top lip. From top lip of engine box to top edge of chassis rail measures 500mm. Chassis rails are 550mm apart.

Thames engine bay.jpg

• Thanks 1