BlownCoronas 1988 Toyota Crown TC24SC

BlownCorona

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you can save it, watch some youtube videos if needed of how pros tackle fixing clear. I have made a mess of clear in the past and wet sanded it back and put more clear down a few days later, its not ideal but its not a sin. I mean really all the hard work is done getting it flat and in paint, whats a few more days of work in lock down to get it super slick.

• Like 1

I don't 100% know what you mean by dry areas, but I don't think if got that. Just went too heavy/slow/close ect. 

I am pretty confident I can smooth it off, hopefully without needing to put more clear on but not against that either. 

Only problem is I don't have the sandpaper, so might be an after lockdown job which sucks but ohwell 

Yup even assuming that it came out perfect I was looking to leave it for a couple weeks before even reassembling it. So I'm not too worried at this point.

Any tricks to tell when the run has gone hard on the inside? Or just leave it an excessive amount of time. 

What I do is cut the top off a run before I sand it. I do this with a razor blade with some masking tape folded over the ends so you dont have a corner to dig into the clear.

And with the blade just lent slightly forward scrape the run . This is time consuming... but it stops you sanding the clear around the run and having low spots or worse rub through around the run . Then you have to repaint and do blends and with a metallic like that will suck big time.

One the run is all but scraped off . I'll use a hard rubber block and 1500 and sand it till it's nice and flat and any Mark's from the razor blade are gone.

2000 over top of that or 3000 on a da sander.  

You can buff 1500 but it's much nicer and quicker to buff 2000/3000 

I'm sure as you've already found out no part of this is "quick and easy".

If your patient and take your time the results show 

• Like 1

Also since you've done it in your garage theres no bake cycle .....

So the more sunlight you can give it in the next week or so the better.

All 2 pack paints clear included need to get up to a pretty high temp like 50 degrease (not totally sure with out looking at data sheets) before they will cure properly.  Time is not good enough.

So leave it in the sun for as long and as often as you can. 

Also what color is that? Looks fucking amazing 

I do have two 2400w industrial fan heaters, if I moved these around and pointed them directly at panel by panel, would this be a good idea? 

Have never heard about the heat being a requirement before! 

The colour is bmw sepang bronze (a32) and I absolutely adore it. I came across the colour when I wanted to paint rims for my old audi s4 the work/rays matte bronze and have always wanted to paint a whole car. 

Dunno if I'd point a big heater directly at a painted panel..... risk getting it too hot.

Giving it plenty of time in the sun will be more than enough.

Total credit where credit it due. Looks awesome .

Hope the metallic went on alright.

Can often be a trick to get dark metallics on without them going patchy / mottley I know I've redone my share of bonnets and boots because the metallic looked like shit. 

It is 100% reward when it all turns out good though.  Look forward to seeing it at some monthly meets 

2k hardens by a chemical reaction

It will happen faster with increased temperature. But is not required, it just speeds it up.

Too cold and the solvents won't evaporate from the paint fast enough and give a poor finish

Too hot and you can harden the outer layer and trap solvent inside

Takes about a month for a paint job to be truly hardened

• Like 1

The metallic went down better than I could have imagined, just the clear went to shit. 

It's prety bad, the photos don't show it up that much/have only photographed good angles, but you can look through the runs and see the panels are dead straight so that's awesome. And I'm really hoping that with yet some more sanding it really will look as good as hoped it will. I think it will. 

I'm also pleased with how the bronze works with the blue interior. And am undecided on wheel centre colour. Initially I was going to paint them r32 gtr gun metal grey, as a mate painted his r34 rims this bronze on my recommendation and the colour combo looks great. But open to suggestions. 

Really need to clean all the sanding dust of them as is and see what I think. 

• Like 2

i might give this trick a nudge. seems to be pretty awesome at protecting the good bits around the run

i think ill give it a go on a more inconspicuous spot first. but looks like a great trick, and i watched a lot of this guys vids to (fail) at learning good techniques 

currently watching this much longer video about the same trick/more info. 

he did say on flatter areas hed stick with the razor. 

he does a good job about making me not feel so shit about getting runs though, "if you dont get a run every now and then, your not trying hard enough or your not putting it on wet enough" :-D

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 16:11, JustHarry said:

You can buff 1500 but it's much nicer and quicker to buff 2000/3000 

1200 is easy as.

On 04/04/2020 at 16:14, JustHarry said:

All 2 pack paints clear included need to get up to a pretty high temp like 50 degrease (not totally sure with out looking at data sheets) before they will cure properly.  Time is not good enough.

Nope.

On 04/04/2020 at 17:23, tortron said:

2k hardens by a chemical reaction

It will happen faster with increased temperature. But is not required, it just speeds it up.

Too cold and the solvents won't evaporate from the paint fast enough and give a poor finish

Too hot and you can harden the outer layer and trap solvent inside

Takes about a month for a paint job to be truly hardened

On to it.

On 04/04/2020 at 22:46, BlownCorona said:

currently watching this much longer video about the same trick/more info. 

he did say on flatter areas hed stick with the razor. 

he does a good job about making me not feel so shit about getting runs though, "if you dont get a run every now and then, your not trying hard enough or your not putting it on wet enough" :-D

Pretty much. Although i have many solutions when i get runs, but those two vid's will help ya sort it.

• Like 1