MARTS-PL310 61 Datsun Bluebird Sedan

MARTS-PL310

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

@jhogie, Many thanks for the complement. The project does keep me busy and I'll be gaining some skills to use on something else later on. You are the first person I have encountered in all these years that also owns the original 1960 PL310. I feared all the other 310s had been crushed or left to rot in a field by now.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting back into the Bluebird project now after taking a multi-month break for various life events. During that time period, I inherited a relative's project car, a 1979 VW Beetle convertible, which hasn't run for least six or more years. The VW has a seized engine and no shortage of rust, especially the floor. It has an odd factory accessory for an old beetle - air conditioning.

1301589844_IMG_9434smallcopy.thumb.jpeg.48598cecc7d6fdac2f58497deeb54113.jpeg

While tearing down the VW engine and sorting that out, I've done a final full outer sheet metal mockup (rust repairs only screwed together) on the Bluebird after completing all three major subassemblies on the RHS. The floor, outer sill and lower A-post assemblies simply need to be finish coated before some surfaces become inaccessible after welding to the body. Then just weld them to the body - the fun part!

419191617_BluebirdMockup-1smallcopy.thumb.jpeg.9db9bc9174d7a7e8268b885586048f9c.jpeg

Plan is to catch up with Bluebird progress and full details on the build page soon!

Maybe I should start another project page for the beetle convert?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Love your work!

Not sure if you are joking here or not 

29 minutes ago, MARTS-PL310 said:

I'm only doing the upper surfaces for now since this is not a restoration. I can get at the frame sides and bottoms later if I choose to do so. Probably won't though.

1: pretty sure, that yes, yes it is, one of the best ive ever seen (tis but a light tidy up, a flesh wound!)

2: yes you will :)

• Like 3

More excellent updates on a fantastic job that you're doing. Your workmanship is so neat and tidy. I presume you have some form of decent heating in that shed to help avoid cold hands. Not fun doing metal work when its freezing!

Thanks for taking the time to keep posting updates on oldschool for us all to enjoy :-)

@yoeddynzAnd thank you for the support!. Yeah, the shed is a bit nippy this week as we're having a cold snap. It shares a wall with the house so that helps keep it above freezing at least. The cold weather is leading me to think about the upholstery as the seat cushions need some slight repairs. Making new seat covers to match the originals would be good indoors work except I don't have the correct tools or skill set just yet. Another challenge to be dealt with somehow. I sure can't sit on the bare springs ;)

1949168977_FrontSeatCushions-Teardown-2.jpeg.f55ea1bfb95f2b72c6076974906f91fe.jpeg

739310200_FrontSeatCushions-Teardown-14.jpeg.1e7efc2002e34d3494150bc669dd950b.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...