MARTS-PL310

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

@tortron Thanks for the suggestion. I've been working on dies intermittently last couple of weeks. So far made something like this. Only part way there. Need to figure out a way to guide them together during the form operation and prevent lateral spread.
2067333442_61BluebirdLeftFloorPan-21.thumb.jpg.817db5369b03e95b3f450d830a91a930.jpg

More on the dies later, I've been slowed down somewhat by making a bunch of replacement underfloor supporting brackets out of heavy 16 and 18 gauge sheet.

One example.
858113759_61BluebirdLeftFloorPan-22.thumb.jpg.bc1a3e88d49630215cd2b3084aed5db3.jpg
Two separate bent up pieces. Then butt welded down the middle

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

@MRT1TRD Thanks for the complement, it is much appreciated! There may be a possibility to help you, but not in the immediate future since I've yet to start the right hand floor and surrounding structure of my Bluebird. I don't know how long that is going to take. I will persevere and get it done. This is still a part time hobby for me, so my time investment is just considered fun play time in the garage. A cost prediction to help someone else is really unknown. I've purposely not tracked my hours spent on the various parts crafted so as not to shock myself silly with the crazy reality of what's going into this project. Limiting your need to a couple of front floors (lower corrugated section up through the forward lap edge) is far simpler than an entire side of course and might be readily doable. That helps a lot. I could consider doing a couple of front floor pieces side-by-side when I start making my full right hand floor since it would be more efficient that way. I need to know more on scope of the sills needed. One single 18 inch long outer patch segment or a full blown weld completed outer sill with all the side of sill lift jack penetration structure details? The latter would be horribly time consuming for me and thus cost prohibitive for you. Or in between those extremes, maybe three matching segments that you could weld together would suffice? PM me with further discussion.

Thanks 

I think I will have a go at doing them first but contact me when you look at the rh floor. The sill is not that bad that just replacing the main profile areas should do as the Jack points are OK just some surface rust.  

On side note I am really amazed that there is little rust for the fact that the metal is bare from the factory inside the sill

@MRT1TRDHow about a discussion thread on your Bluebird wagon project?

I noticed in your latest wagon post that it has the jack cover still attached on the sill. I'm very interested in reverse engineering that part for my project to complete the factory look.  Could you upload some close up pics of it on your project thread to show how it is made on the inside to keep it attached?

Just read through your project thread, awesome skills bro with bare minimum tools. These are the builds I love to read through as opposed to full workshop builds.. So much more inspiration. Keep up the exceptional work man... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 61 Datsun Bluebird 310 floorpan assembly is now completely welded in after a month of work activity nearly every evening and weekend. I'm very happy to reach this milestone and make visible progress on the old Datsun! A flood of pics to follow in the build thread in a couple of hours or so. :)

611478000_61BluebirdLeftFloorPan-164.jpg.f8a992340dd048566eb50acaa0f2098a.jpg

Build:
https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/60264-marts-pl310-61-datsun-bluebird-sedan/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took a break from the rusty sheet metal repairs and played with the engine.

Checked out the valve train and made sure nothing was sticking, cleaned the metal grinding dust off the ignition components,  rigged up a vertical fuel feed and cranked it up. Open exhaust manifold with no pipes or muffler. All just for a little fun break.IMG_7389.jpeg.4d6b863673dba8d46b94435ae9cb40df.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Another diversion from rust repair was had. Rebuilt the 310 Datsun Bluebird fuel pump. A quick job that provides the satisfaction of finishing something in one go.

429543719_61BluebirdFuelPump-1.thumb.jpg.1adfcde60e90add160978989f296ad91.jpg
Found a repair kit in oz several years ago and just hung onto it. Replacement pumps are a bit scarce and I didn't much like running it with a noisy electric. Anyway, it's good to go now, at least until the ethanol laced fuel ruins it again.

The 310 Bluebird FSM is quite handy. There are several interesting pages dedicated just to the fuel pump. This is one. Learned a few new words. Chube, Diaspring, Pum. ; )180637949_61BluebirdFuelPump-2.thumb.jpg.48ea4959bd91426ed369c6d5ea526275.jpg

Discussion:

https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/60267-marts-pl310-61-datsun-bluebird-sedan/

Build:
https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/60264-marts-pl310-61-datsun-bluebird-sedan/

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...