Unclejake's '95 Chev discusion

Unclejake

By the look of them they can't drop down as the block would prevent it, but I haven't peeled off the headgaskets yet. Two of the pre-combustion chambers (thank you for identifying them) had rotated on one head. The other head looked OK, but it's all still filthy so needs a proper inspection once clean

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crate motors are about $6-8k USD plus shipping, so they are an option. Just not a  a particularly cheap one.

It'll cost < $1k NZD to send the engine I have to and from the mainland from Chatham (including getting it from the port to an engine re-builder). 

I usually like doing things properly, but in this case I may just have to risk doing a slap together job here on the Island as the costs of doing it properly may be more than the truck is worth (and I still need to sort brakes, suspension and ignition system)

Before you go and slap some new rings bearings and gaskets at it.

it would be best to measure everything up. then order the right stuff first time

doing a job twice or pulling the motor out again isn't much fun in my experience.  

As for cleaning 

pull all oil and water frost plugs out and clean it properly

any oil or water buildup stuck somewhere could result in rebuilt motor being wrecked

perhaps making an electrolysis bath could work for cleaning?   

• Like 1

When it's in the too hard basket. :geek:

P.S. Shipping a vehicle like the Chev here from Napier is ~$5k, so just by the fact that this one is already on the Island makes it worth more to me. That and that it's fucking cool, and fucked, and cool, but mainly fucked.

It's the OS way brother

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unclejake said:

Yup. It was QAM I spoke to

I'm also in contact with another dude who has a complete running engine (still in a vehicle). I await details and price from him.

If you need anything checked out or picked up let me know

• Thanks 1