Unclejake's '95 Chev discusion

Unclejake

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't met Jay (to my knowledge). It's an odd place. ~ 600 people live here, and in May I'll have been here for a year, but almost every single day I see someone I've never met before. 

WHERE DO THEY COME FROM?

Aliens I guess. Un-vaccinated aliens spreading 1080 and selling fake rims. 

Oh, I have a plan for access to a shed. The owner's already said no, but I reckon if I promised to be in and out fast he'll relent. I'll see what I can achieve in the paddock first. I'm figuring motor and trans should probably come out together, but I have no idea how big a job the transfer case will be. I didn't look that hard. Too much sheep shit and thistles. In other news it's cold as all hell here today. Ha

• Thanks 1

Jay is a GC. He and I did a lot of really dumb shit back in the day. He's fairly mechanical too. It's suprised  when he said many people down there had no clue about motors. I would have thought it'd be a neccesity if you lived somewhere like that. 

What's your mates name?

I actually thought they'd begun enforcing wofs over there?  My mate always told.me.it.was because the roads were so rough. My mate had a ruff as.front tug Toyota.  (It died it's final death halfway through my stay there)  none of the seat belts would pull out. My mate reckoned the jiggling of the grave roads fucked the inertia reel mechanisms. And all.cars did it after a while out there. 

Rental and government vehicles have WoFs, but not many other people bother. I will build a safe and sound vehicle - but that doesn't mean it'd pass a WoF.

Getting parts delivered here by ship is no problem, but it can take a couple of months and cost a lot. This Chev was ~ $5k in freight from NZ to Chatham, but about $3k in freight from USA to NZ. 

I can fly things the same week from Wellington to Chatham @ $3.50 per KG, but that needs someone running around in Wellington, and an engine probably weighs 400 kgs (you can do the math). CI used to have the highest Harley ownership per capita on the planet, but those days are gone now.

A question: If I pull out the motor, leaving the torque convertor on the flywheel (connected to the crank) will I need to drain the auto trans first? I may abandon this project once the motor is out and I don't want to leave a dry trans sitting in the salt air for the next few years if I can help it. Does the transmission need draining?

The convertor is bolted to the flywheel and I can't turn the motor over. The convertor slides onto  a splined input shaft that juts out of the the transmission ( I think)

I have the huge advantage of a (seized) short-block lying in the same paddock. It was obviously removed with the convertor still attached, and has helped me work out where the trans/engine block bolts are

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...