Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Flash

13 minutes ago, dmulally said:

@Flash I'm sure you're all over it but have you put in an airscoop to the radiator in the front?

All the commer van's I have ever had have required it when lowered or they overheat at highway speeds. 

@dmulallyYep, full scoop already in place. It dropped the max temp a little bit. I'm getting a consistent 95C max in both traffic and at top speed these days. Still feels a bit high to me but she seems happy enough. I'm going to give the rad another flush as I still seem to have a bit of a brown tinge in the coolant when I last drained the system. Not lots, but just enough to stain the bottom of the bucket that I drain the coolant into.

• Like 1

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Flash said:

@dmulallyYep, full scoop already in place. It dropped the max temp a little bit. I'm getting a consistent 95C max in both traffic and at top speed these days. Still feels a bit high to me but she seems happy enough. I'm going to give the rad another flush as I still seem to have a bit of a brown tinge in the coolant when I last drained the system. Not lots, but just enough to stain the bottom of the bucket that I drain the coolant into.

95 at both high and low speed seems interesting in itself.

I think that's a fine temp though. Especially for where you are! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmulally said:

95 at both high and low speed seems interesting in itself.

I think that's a fine temp though. Especially for where you are! 

I've gone a bit troppo across here in the tropics. LOL

In other news we sold our modern van this past weekend so the Thames has taken over daily driving duties.

The modern van with its a/c made us a bit soft, so I'm furiously ordering a/c parts for the Thames at the moment. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, locost_bryan said:

This thread suggests 180F-220F (82C-104C).  95C (203F) is the midpoint, so sounds about right?

Normal Van temp gauge reading (toyotavantech.com)

Thanks Bryan. That makes me feel a lot better. Our Moke runs at 80C all day long so I've been comparing the Toyota engine running temps to that which was making me a bit nervous.

Really interested to see what you do AC wise if it is a bunch of bits or a kit. Having a bulkhead would make it easier. Where the condenser will go should be fun. 

Semi related but I was having overheating problems in my 66 chev so I moved the gearbox cooler from in front of the radiator to under the passenger floor horizontally with a derale oil cooler kit with a fan. Seems to work ok so far so could be an idea. 

• Like 2

It's a bunch of bits that I will be using @dmulally. I was lucky enough to find a factory bracket for the a/c compressor off a mid 90s Toyota Liteace that was running a 4YE engine - basically the same block as the 3Y that I am running so the bracket bolted straight up. I grabbed the Denso a/c compressor from the same wreck and it was still holding gas, so I'm hoping it will be okay.

For the internal unit I am going with an underdash jobbie from Old Air Products. It was the only unit dimensions wise that works out depth wise so that it fits right up against the inside of the nose panel and doesn't protrude past the underside of the dashboard. This is the unit:

UNIVERSAL-UNDERDASH-UNIT-1.jpg.71c68f109e97ceedda51cc785fb5609d.jpg

Except I've gone for the brushed aluminium face plate for a bit of extra bling.

In terms of the condenser, I'm going for the universal chassis mounted unit used on some utes and hot rods. It comes complete with a shroud and electric fan. Looks like so:

ParallelflowcondensorbySpeedyAir1.jpg.c33d8c3d2174473c4e540bd3babbdec0.jpg

I have the option of running two of these units in series if I want to improve the efficiency of the system.

Then it's just a case of sourcing a receiver/ drier and a few other small components.

My local a/c supplier also stocks a hose kit supplied with a crimp tool for DIY installations. The hose kit is about $400 with ends, bulkhead fittings etc and includes the cost of the crimper. A mate of mine has just done a setup in his MK1 Capri using the same hose kit and he reckons it worked out perfectly.

I'm hoping to commence the install in the next couple of weeks and will update my build thread as I go.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tortron said:

Interested in kit, I'd like to put one on my l200. That or swap the doors for ones with 1/4 windows :lol:

AC place here just shrugged when I asked about retro mod/vintage air atuff

I guess Aus would be the capital of a/c retrofits, but I reckon fitting a/c to a L200 would be pretty straight forward since it has a conventional dashboard.

I'd be looking at a concealed dash unit something like this:

EV2216.png.311a1f7826fca130c666336cb4f956ac.png

They go for around $400 Aus which is around half the price of the unit I bought and you are then able to plumb the outlets up to your existing dash vents using slinky pipe. You should be able to slip a universal condenser in front of your radiator or worst case scenario use a universal under tray ute unit like this:

ParallelflowcondensorbySpeedyAir1.jpg.e253c3104bb96a0e6b0e73140b088390.jpg

Cost for that unit is also around $400 Aus.

Receiver/drier bottles are cheap as chips (about $30 Aus complete with mounting bracket)

Being a ute you won't need a grunty system so any belt driven compressor should do the trick.

My local a/c supplier (Speedy Air Spares - check out his website) provides DIY hose kits that you can crimp yourself. He is supply only, but has advised on heaps of retro fits including a local who has fitted a/c to his 60's VW bug.

I'm happy to help in any way I can Tori.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, rotormotor said:

Interesting you are installing AC fabrication on your  van whereas I'm deleting mine.

AMobile aircon degasser due nect week.

Yep, here in tropical Queensland life without a/c in summer is not worth living LOL.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otodat said:

Been waiting to see how those hoses work, quite surprised those clips can hold. I assumed ac ran at high pressure but I guess it's similar to an air compressor.

Yep, got to be honest when I say that I had my doubts about the hose joints being up to the task, but in talking to a mate of mine who used the same system on his Mk2 Capri a few years back, he reassured me that they actually work and haven't let him down so far.

I guess the final proof will be when I get it gassed up.

• Like 2