Toyota 5 speed gearbox related question

Flash

if you dont care toooo much about power, id be seriously looking at 18rs. soch sideflow 2000cc 4 cyl. not the most modern engine option available. but setup a nice carb on it, and itll be reliable and powerful enough to daily, they were used in utes, vans and family sedans for a good amount of years.

pretty sure they are more common over in aus too. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day It's gonna be a lot better than the factory lump and you'll be able to sit on 100kph no worries

You could convert it to EFI as well if you really wanted, but considering the vehicle it's in a DGAV will be more than adequate 

There will be a stack of more modern compact motors you could use that are likely more fuel efficient and powerful than an R series or any other fit as such.   You could probably get something out of a column shift Kei truck that would be better. 

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the input thus far. Although I started off thinking Toyota I'm more than happy to go down another road. Biggest considerations are reliability, fuel economy and availability of parts. I'd be happy to cruise around at 100. My previous Bedford was good for more than that but got pretty hairy above 140 even with suspension mods and it was pretty thirsty.

I could get precious about it's originality and throw a bucket load of cash at the factory running gear, but life is too short for that. 

1 hour ago, kyteler said:

There will be a stack of more modern compact motors you could use that are likely more fuel efficient and powerful than an R series or any other fit as such.   You could probably get something out of a column shift Kei truck that would be better. 

1300cc turbo?