Damo's Crap

dmulally

It is from an IS200 and here is a pic of a similar setup. 

Realistically I didnt need it with the diff swap but I want this to be bulletproof and the commer gearbox is a leaky shitfight. 

I'm sure Ill be able to sort reverse. Im just not sure which side it is on so don't know where to look. The gearchange is very crisp and I haven't even tightened it up yet. 

received_305515563620479.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/01/2019 at 16:05, Flash said:

Hi Damo, Nice van!

I don't know much about the Commer vans, so apologies for the basic question, but is the standard setup a floor or column shifter?

Sorry Flash. Just saw this. 

It is a four on the floor setup. The shifter sits in a cup that is attached to a long shaft that curves round the engine and makes a cable shifter feel precise. Even with the Lexus 6 speed you kind of throw it in the general area and it will find gear. 

• Haha 1

On 30/01/2019 at 12:59, dmulally said:

Sorry Flash. Just saw this. 

It is a four on the floor setup. The shifter sits in a cup that is attached to a long shaft that curves round the engine and makes a cable shifter feel precise. Even with the Lexus 6 speed you kind of throw it in the general area and it will find gear. 

Thanks for the extra info Damo. I've got to come up with some kind of solution when I re-power my Thames. It's currently a 4 speed column shift with the shifting rods integrated into the steering box casing. The current gearbox has a set of three side selectors, but that will need to change too. I need to take a few pics of the steering box, but below is a pic of the gearbox selectors.

Anyway, you have given me some more food for thought.

Standard gearbox 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, tortron said:

if you ever get sick of that commer plz let me know.  can i interest you in like 3.5 morries that dont go :lol:

I'll never be able to sell the commer. I spent a kings ransom on the rebuild only to drive the same speed I did before I started. :scratch:

I have a deal for you. I'll swap you the Standard 10 for your morries and you hold onto the morries for me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kws said:

So, whats the trick to getting a "good" paint job like that in a shed?

To be honest, you win by not caring that much. Up close there are usually a couple of runs and there are imperfections all over the place. But buffing helps cover up poor technique and it'll only get ruined anyway. I cut as many corners as possible. I don't even sand down my primer. I just put a little more thinners in it and sand any problem areas. 

It isn't a good paint job at all but from 5 meters away looks great. That is cool by me. I have too many cars/projects to strive for perfection. I only spray 1.5 coats anyway. Just a quick tacking coat and then a full wet coat. 

• Like 1

So I sorted out the backfire. I changed the spark plugs which were ancient and fouled and adjusted the timing. It needs to be done properly but it runs so much better now. The throttle response isnt instant but revs very strong. Before it just died if you didnt slowly roll on the throttle. I just turned the dizzy until it worked properly. 

IMG_20210304_174728_5.jpg