Mechanical to electric speedo

toy-mota

On the Dynafari I got an Isspro speedo that could take pretty much any pulsed input signal, there is a bank of dipswitches that you use to calibrate it. Im pretty sure you could just run a magnet past a coil or hall sensor and it would work...

• Like 1

Nah needs to be from a RWD toyota gearbag like a W55 or even a G52 from a hilux would work.

@Roman should know the ins and outs of mechanical drives for a J160

A bolt in factory option thats not a modded electronic drive should solve the cable eating issue and negate the need to get all fancy with electronic drive.

Keen to see how you made shift linkages on the gearbox work in a van too

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HighLUX said:

Nah needs to be from a RWD toyota gearbag like a W55 or even a G52 from a hilux would work.

@Roman should know the ins and outs of mechanical drives for a J160

A bolt in factory option thats not a modded electronic drive should solve the cable eating issue and negate the need to get all fancy with electronic drive.

Keen to see how you made shift linkages on the gearbox work in a van too

Honestly I think it is just new cables being a poor fit inside the liner. The original one was a lot easier to spin in my hand than any of the new ones. Cheers for the heads up though. 

Next task is to actually find one. 

I'll scooch under there a little later and put some pics back up here for ya of the linkages. It is all commer at the front and the difference in throwing distance is about 250mm. No kidding. 

• 7 months later...
On 18/08/2021 at 13:14, dmulally said:

Does anyone know if this will work with an Altezza box? 

Edit: Ignore that. It'll be this

Turns out it was that after all and I can successfully report back that it all works. For anybody desperately searching the internet that happens to stumble upon this post, the speedo I used was this: https://www.shopsaas.com/saas-speedometer-0-220-kph-3-1-2-in-dash-black-muscle-sg31632

I stuck it in the middle of the dash and it is rather bright. 

received_4491308067638090.jpeg

• Like 1