Mechanical to electric speedo

toy-mota

So im looking at changing my speedo from mechanical to electrical. Currently my cable does a sharp turn out of the gearbox And wobbles the needle +\~ 15km , also im pretty sure i need to change the gear on the driver. 

So im thinking change to electric sensor - run to link ecu ( change to correct output) - dash speedo. 

Do i just need to find a electrical speedo with the same sweep and cut to fit? 

Gearbox is a w57. 

Thanks

8 hours ago, Raizer said:

You've likely already figured out how to get a signal, but an Altezza speedo drive should fit straight in to the W57.

And yeah, your pretty well onto it with finding a speedo and making it fit the face from your mechanical one.

Or could i make a stepper motor work and make it fit into the back of the cable drive?

970E050B-DE36-465D-83C0-0C62A5047290.png

If you have a set of verniers and some drawing skills i'm positive someone here could print you the parts needed to adapt a stepper to ya factory input.

The problem is that you are still stuck with a relatively inaccurate potentially bouncy speedo mechanism. 

People should correct me if im wrong here but im sure even the guts from a tachometer could be installed behind ya factory cluster and fed pulses from the link to display speed 100% accurately.

Id just hotglue the guts in there and smugface 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

People should correct me if im wrong here but im sure even the guts from a tachometer could be installed behind ya factory cluster and fed pulses from the link to display speed 100% accurately.

Id just hotglue the guts in there and smugface 

That's what I did. You just lose the odo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, toy-mota said:

would i need to keep odo for a wof?

or i was looking at this? 

frequency to voltage converter  with a dc motor into the back 

I've never had any problems with getting wofs. It's been like that for at least 4 years. You can buy speedos that take a pwm input and you get an odo. I think they are a few $100. I only used a tacho because I was looking for the cheapest possible solution, because racecar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump. 

I have a 6 speed manual box from a Lexus is200 in my Commer van. It has a mechanical sender conversion and it has started eating cables. I'll get this shaft straightened out but I'm just wondering a couple of things.

1. Is the vehicle speed sensor the same as any other models out there? Searching for an IS200 brings up a lot of 300 and 400's. 

2. Would it be possible to put the stock sender back in and wire it directly to a custom electronic speedo or does it need the ECU in the way? 

Thanks in advance.  

Hey man. This does not answer your question, but I think SpeedHut sell adaptors to fit most gearboxes that convert mechanical gearbox output into pulses to suit their speedo's (and probably many others). Might be easy compared to factory stuff (Or exactly the same, no idea)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Hey man. This does not answer your question, but I think SpeedHut sell adaptors to fit most gearboxes that convert mechanical gearbox output into pulses to suit their speedo's (and probably many others). Might be easy compared to factory stuff (Or exactly the same, no idea)

The stock one looks like it has two pins but I have no idea what they output.

Thanks for that and I'll check them out. Speedhut may work but as the mechanical shaft is bespoke, that's what I'm trying to ditch. It is essentially a mechanical output shaft brazed onto the original shaft. 

This is interesting. But not what I need. It would be good for redundancy though as it has GPS input as well as VSS. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Which part is bespoke? the input to the gauges or the gearbox output?

Gearbox output. Where there is a shaft that goes to the electronic sender, mine just has a slot for a mechanical speedo. That has warped and is eating cables. 

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Ok. Four cables and one mechanical sender from overseas later and I'm admitting defeat on the commer. I can't believe something as pathetic as a speedo cable has kept it off the road for months now. 

I'm going to change to electronic and be done with it. Looking at this little doozy:

https://new.speedhut.com/accessories/sensors/speed-sensors/magnetic-htz-universal-speedometer-sensor/

Does anybody know what this would attach to and what would I put on the other end to trigger it? Drum brake backing plate pointing at wheel? Tailshaft? Don't want to throw anything out of balance etc.