POR15 full of shit!

Kimjon

I'm prepared to be shown the errors of my way, but here is some photo's I thought may entertain you all.

Why por15? Well online it's touted as the best thing to use on the likes of chassis, fuel tanks, engine mounts...all those places that rust really easily under the car. It's said to love rust, basically stick to it and protect it from deteriorating further etc. Apparently you don't need to put a lot of effort into prep work which is another big plus.

IMG_20181116_090323.thumb.jpg.bfd768925e34ec8dabe3b2d1c8e5435d.jpg

This bike fork is looking mint, about a year on from clear coating in por15. This was sanded back with a flap disc to bear metal...then painted in por15. Looks mint, but so it should. I'd expect the same result from any normal paint too.

It's kept under a cover, so no uv light can get at it, as I was told por15 doesn't like sunlight.

I didn't really expect this to last in all honesty and always had my doubts about doing it like this with no etch primer...But thought these results may deter anyone who's thinking of brushing this on their chassis (in the same product, but probably with black tint in it) and calling it job done.

• Confused 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally; this part was covered in flakey paint and old rust. I hit it with a flap disc until it all looked shiny...But it wasn't the best of jobs I'll admit. However according to por15 it would just about stick to anything and prevent further rusting...so this was overkill preparation.

IMG_20181116_090302.thumb.jpg.69bf2274d740267679bc04c64bea0b81.jpg

Interestingly enough, if it was black colour...I'd think it was doing it's job. The por15 looks perfect from the outside, no cracks, no chips, no hazing...nothing at all to show it's defective on the outside. It's only because I used clear, that I can see the rust growing underneath. If it was black...I would be totally unaware of any issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yeah it’s pretty garbage, did you use their acid wash first? It’s what they recommend and it helps. They use the POR15 tech (water cured urethane) in industry so it does work, but they have a prep process similar with the acid wash first I’m pretty sure. You cannot slap it on bare/rusty steel like people do, it fails all the time. I used it on some big surface areas in the past and ground it al off later as it is garbage compared to actual car paint products.

2 part epoxy primer is basically the only thing you should use on bare steel if it’s something you care about. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moparmuppet said:

I understood it loved sticking to rust, smash off the loose stuff and go for it. I think you are overprepping by hitting with a flap disc. My 2c.

I thought that too...But where the rust had little to no prep done, it's rusted the worst by far.

I wasn't expecting it to work to be honest...But thought I'd share the photos. It's only visible due to it been clear, otherwise you'd think it was perfectly fine as the surface still looks fine.

Same result here. Prepped a surface rusted inner splash guard both sides as per their instructions. POR15 coats with the under and top coat and fitted it to the car. 2 years later i pulled the splash guard as orange streaks were running out of it. Completely rooted flaking rust underneath and the POR15 was all that was holding it together - peeled it off to find swiss cheese steel under it all.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bling said:

Send photos to POR15, see what they say.

The response you'll get is, 

"You didn't prepare the surface properly it's  all your fault our  product is perfect in every way despite the massive evidence to the contrary its your fault you stupid customer"

• Like 4