Jamies RX7.. aka the money gobbler discussion

J4m13

2 hours ago, cletus said:

Pretty cool that you rebuilt your own engine, good work 

While simple in theory compared to piston engines, I imagine there's a bunch of little tricks you need to know when assembling one  

So was it low oil pressure = fucked the bearing= shaft gets a bit floppy= stationary gear gets a hiding? 

Thanks mate!!!

there’s lots of tricks and personal preference. A lot of secret info in the rotary world… im not really sure why as I’m certain most of it can be found online if you have a bit of time and desire to find it.

The stuff I know and learnt was from back in early-mid 2000’s so no doubt things have certainly progressed from what I experienced.

as for the failure. Most of the examples of gears like this are from over revving and lack of oil. And you’re assumption is pretty good. I was told of the same thing, wipe the bearings creating excessive bearing clearances and movement etc. In turn straining, chipping and or cracking gear teeth, that continue to rip through the rest causing catastrophic failure.

hence I went for the hardened gear to eliminate this weak point, as well as upgrade the pressure reg from a 60-70 psi regulator upto around 100psi.

also did the multi window bearing for extra lubrication 

There are plenty of other oil mods that can be performed but for a standard engine, that only boosts 6psi I didn’t really see the point.

I guess I can count myself lucky it ruined only rotor gear and stationary gear.

• Like 4