wheel bearing grease

rob.121

Hi all, quick question.. Am currently replacing front wheel bearings on an old mazda, i have noticed after a week or so of doing the job, (car hasn't been used, still on jack stands in shed) the grease is weeping out of the underside of the dust cap on the front and some on the rear rotor seal too, not enough to drip but there is a build up. Is this normal? was thinking maybe after some regular use it may clear up. The grease is Nulon extreme performance L80. wondering if i continue with the same grease for the bearings on the other side.

Don't have any pics sorry, It is only a small amount but seems strange considering it hasn't been used yet. Bearings packed by hand and centre of rotor cavity filled with grease. I applied grease generously to the area between the rear bearing and dust seal. Also around the nut at the front. 

did you over fill it maybe? only really need to pack the bearings (plus a bit for luck),  not fill the cavity, thats just weight and wasted grease as theres no friction surfaces that need lubing in there.

grease is not compressible so will force its way out under pressure, say as you tighten the nut or the car sits on its wheels for a bit and the weight seats the bearings.

Sometimes can get air pockets or small areas (say between the bearing and seal...) that can get airlocked and the grease will splurge its way out.

Any cleaning solvent left in there will also mix with the grease and hasten its pathway out

Pop the wheel off, have a butchers, give the seals a wipe and wang it back on

You can fill the cavities to help stop water sitting inside the hub.
I wouldnt worry too much unless its making its way onto the brakes (if it has those) check it every now and then after a good run and see what happens, some grease have alot of oil in the soap and can let it out, others a super dry and wont bleed even after being cooked .