repairing aluminium grille

peteretep

I bought a grille to change my car from square to round headlight, but it has a few shit bits on it, the worst being a crack in the aluminium where a fastener goes. Whats some good ways to repair this? I see you can buy aluminium brazing rods, so maybe I could fill it up, beat the area flat then redrill the hole. But its a pretty messy area with lots of debris around the damage, so maybe need to cut out the whole bad area first?

IMG_0133.jpg

Using the rods you speak of. You're right about cleaning the area first, you'd want nice and fresh metal before any methods. Just thought the above video was pretty sweet. I wonder how well it would work for fixing mag wheel gouges.

• Like 3

I have used rods from Bunnings to stick a couple of bits of aluminium together, seem to recall they were flux cored but using proper flux might help. Needed heaps of heat though, so a decent torch. Scrub the area around it with a scotch pad until it's spotless. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...