Sign in to follow this  
daveyc123

Recommendations for engine work in Christchurch

Hi guys, I'm looking for recommendations for a person or company to change the rear main seal on my 1256 viva engine.

The crank needs to be removed to fit the seal and this is past my skill level. Engine is out of the car and I'm sure it's not abig job for somebody with the know how and the right equipment.

So any advice on who to use in Christchurch?

Thanks David 

It is an easy job and you only need to lift the crank up just a smidgen so even the pistons don't need removing etc. While the front cover is of you can replace the front crank seal too. 

Id offer beers and bbq and get some os chch folk round to help. Then you can learn too :-)

• Like 2

Go see Damon at rocky auto on port hills Rd. He's who I got to do the rear main seal on my Cedric.  And that was in the car still.

24 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Go see Damon at rocky auto on port hills Rd. He's who I got to do the rear main seal on my Cedric.  And that was in the car still.

Easier to do a Cedric with a beautiful rubber spring seal than a Vaux with a hemp series mate. 

• Like 1

Not with the turbo crossover pipe obscuring the bell housing bolts. Plus the Trans is massive and heavy

Oh do they have a 2 piece rope seal?

Not difficult, crank out is easier, then after soaking it in oil for about 4 hours you can work it in with a few different sized sockets and use a brand new razor blade and feeler gauge to trim to correct height

• Like 1

Go wash your mouth out young man!!! We wont be having any of this 'two piece rope seal' talk around here. Keep your backwards BMC material away from Vauxhalls Viva which has a fully modern sprung lip seal.

Pfffff. You should be ashamed. You should know better- your Chevette had the same engine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Chevette life.

The only reliable chevette I had was fitted with a 18RG.