Sharpening Drill Bits

peteretep

• 1 year later...
On 02/10/2018 at 16:07, peteretep said:

What would the difference be between a drill doctor and one of the NZ voltage machines not branded as drill doctor? Drill doctor is just the OG one so its best and everyone else is a copy?

What he said, Has anyone tried a drill doctor VS the toolshed style ones? 

drill doctor looks to have a rotating lobe = $250 

Tooolshed no brand style ones are $80 - $100. 

I presume it's a case you get what you pay for? Or is drill doctor just he OG design? therefore OG tax? 

Just now, My name is Russell said:

What he said, Has anyone tried a drill doctor VS the toolshed style ones? 

drill doctor looks to have a rotating lobe = $250 

Tooolshed no brand style ones are $80 - $100. 

I presume it's a case you get what you pay for? Or is drill doctor just he OG design? therefore OG tax? 

I ended up buying a drill doctor for $270 from NZ as it was a present and I wanted to buy something decent. Not sure about OG pricing but It’s a nice unit

• Like 1

Split point sharpening is the way, would pay to practice and learn even with a sharpening machine.

Split point is easier in my opinion, and according to engineering books is superior in accuracy and durability to the roll style of sharpening (I think because it's easier you are more consistent)

• Like 1

Takes fricken lifetimes to learn how to roll the drill the same way both sides reliably.

I definately prefer split point. But i have found cheaper drill bits cant handle that jandle. Even sutton/evacut arent as good as dormer etc.

45 minutes ago, peteretep said:

I ended up buying a drill doctor for $270 from NZ as it was a present and I wanted to buy something decent. Not sure about OG pricing but It’s a nice unit

Oh yup yup, I like that it's a proper branded one so should be able to get replacement stones in a few years time.

My guess is the cheaper ones will be throw away when warn out. Could be wrong. 

One things for sure, i cant sharpen drill bits by hand for shit. 

Makes me want to watch some drill action in slow motion. 

Ok here we go 

• Like 2