Agent76's Jagwaaar of bowtie heartedness.

RUNAMUCK

11 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Holleys are a pretty simple bit of kit. 

If you want that full race look you cut the choke housing off completely. 

For that  much needed 1cfm gain and extra 0.5hp - I gained a lot more just taking off the mechanical fan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lump said:

Your Jag reminds me of the improvements made to the Quadrajet on my Jags old V8. Choke plate removed and holes drilled through the secondaries plates. Used to get 120km out of a 50L tank

Foook! I hope I get a bit better mileage than that!! Not going for full 1/4 mile spec grunt but a pleasingly grunty street cruiser/grand tourer.  Excellent start point with my engine as it’s tight as 

7 hours ago, Agent75 said:

Foook! I hope I get a bit better mileage than that!! Not going for full 1/4 mile spec grunt but a pleasingly grunty street cruiser/grand tourer.  Excellent start point with my engine as it’s tight as 

Don't worry I think the range went up to 200 - 220 around town with a new carb on it

• 2 weeks later...

When we used to install holleys on v8's, first thing we did was get piece of welding rod and attach it to the choke linkage so that the choke was always wired open and unable to be closed. Correctly tuned the car should be able to be started by a couple of quick pumps on the gas then hit the key with no further accelerator, should fire straight up every time.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 12:21, Thphantum said:

When we used to install holleys on v8's, first thing we did was get piece of welding rod and attach it to the choke linkage so that the choke was always wired open and unable to be closed. Correctly tuned the car should be able to be started by a couple of quick pumps on the gas then hit the key with no further accelerator, should fire straight up every time.

My car starts very well in the fashion you describe but exhibits a couple of too rich traits (starts too well cold with no choke, slightly sluggish when revving (no ford vs chev jokes please!)) whilst I have almost no experience with these carbs I am a bit skeptical that they could be sweet without any cold start assistance unless the mixture is power sappingly rich

The beauty of holleys is their tuneability, lots of adjustment with jet sizes,accelerator pump cams, power valves and so-on. I would start with the basics. {In the old days of leaded fuel you could just pull a spark plug and it would tell what you need to do but unfortunately we don't have that luxery anymore.} Firstly check the float levels are correct. There should be a bung in the side of the fuel bowl, If you remove this and rock the car slightly the fuel should just spill out over the edge of the bung hole. (bahahahaha he said bung hole) if not your float level is wrong. Then have a look at the idle mixture, fire the car up and set the revs slightly above idle, around 1000rpm, then wind the idle screw in slowly till you hear the engine note change, wind back out half a turn, this usually gets them pretty close. If you wind the idle screw all the way in and nothing changes it usually means you are way over jetted (too rich). Try these few basics out and see how you get on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thphantum said:

The beauty of holleys is their tuneability, lots of adjustment with jet sizes,accelerator pump cams, power valves and so-on. I would start with the basics. {In the old days of leaded fuel you could just pull a spark plug and it would tell what you need to do but unfortunately we don't have that luxery anymore.} Firstly check the float levels are correct. There should be a bung in the side of the fuel bowl, If you remove this and rock the car slightly the fuel should just spill out over the edge of the bung hole. (bahahahaha he said bung hole) if not your float level is wrong. Then have a look at the idle mixture, fire the car up and set the revs slightly above idle, around 1000rpm, then wind the idle screw in slowly till you hear the engine note change, wind back out half a turn, this usually gets them pretty close. If you wind the idle screw all the way in and nothing changes it usually means you are way over jetted (too rich). Try these few basics out and see how you get on.

Much appreciated. Yes I had to muck with the secondaries float as it was drastically high. I have a different body on my Holley that doesn’t have the bung hole (chortle) like you say - you actually have to take the whole float bowl off. 

4 hours ago, Thphantum said:

You can bench set them by removing the bowl and placing it upside down on a level surface then adjust the float level until the float hangs about horizontally level

Yea did all that. I should have looked at the jet sizes while I was in there but forgot. It was strange as it is a new Carburetor but it had sat for 4 years and when I tried to run it the fuel absolutely pissed out of it and I had to reset the float lower than I would have thought. I might recheck once fuel has soaked In everywhere. It Would be great to have an o2 sensor for setting

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while but I’ve made a big push lately and I’m looking good for a wof soon. Just going to sort out the gear change as it’s all set up for jag auto and th 350 slots don’t line up.  Also the start inhibit doesn’t lock out reverse which could be a disaster and already almost has been.and reverse light switches halfway between P and R. I’ve welded up old slots and die grinding correct slots for detents. I’m going lock between P N R and D and straight shiftin with no detents between L 2 and D . What you reckon? Fixing start inhibit and reverse switch pretty straight forward after that. Took it for 140kph test run on motorway recently. Sits beautifully. 3000 rpm at 100kph though??? Big wheels and 3.07 diff with a tight feeling gearbox - methinks incorrect tachometer but apparently has been modified for 8 cyl - something to sort later

9ADB0BF9-531B-4394-82C8-4D24D99EDF23.jpeg

1DEDB6A9-5F0B-4468-8483-3ECCB2860CA6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/12/2018 at 10:54, Nominal said:

Looking good there!

Thanks! Yea pretty stoked with the stance and look of it. had a real win today..... she’s  got a wof and rego now!!!  Still 1000 little jobs to do but that’s the name of the game. Can blast around in it with no worries now. Decided to drive to my mates the other sat night at 10pm with no wof and it conked out on a major intersection because I’d hosed the bonnet down and soaked the dizzy or alternator. Had to push it off the intersection with cops 100m in every direction doing a sting. Had to call my mum to gontomly mates so he could leave his girls and come tow me. Ahh it was like being 18 again. :-D

449EBA82-E141-4BE4-A7D8-C6BED77448A9.jpeg

28A2D6A4-ED23-4127-92D7-43DB8234CC6C.jpeg

• Like 6