Jack's Suzuki F50 Step Thru

jackeo21

I bought this within 3 minutes of arriving at a swap meet over the weekend.

In all of it's barn find glory I knew I needed to own it. A deal was done and I shoved it into the back of my mate's safari. God am I glad I left the laser at home.

It's a 1970 Suzuki F50 Super Free. A very rare model to own nowadays, still with it's original black plate and battery. After much faffing around with the points I have managed to start the bike but it needs a carb clean which will be tomorrows job. 

Have just purchased a brand new 6V battery and a NOS leg shield so all thats needed is a wash, carb clean, need to sort out a little wiring and it'll be road legal.

Does applying to use black plates for cars work the same with mopeds? Since its dereistered, or do I just fill in the MR2B form with the rego and renew it? Last rego in 83.

Let me know what we think. It's not getting restored, has just the right amount of character as is. But the seat's a little tired.

(It's a complete bike, was fixing the spark in the photos hence bits everywhere)

cheers

jack

2LvEM.jpg

2LvEN.jpg

• Like 8

Mate this is lush, I’ve got most of a really shit, much less complete one of these stashed away for a future project.

Black plates. Reusing them is the same as cars,

send a email off to ReuseOfPlates@nzta.govt.nz with as much proof that the plates belong to that bike as possible -rusty bolts attached to frame - old rego sticker - include frame number, make and model and year -49cc stamp on motor etc. wait 10? Days then you should get a emai back saying it’s okay to re use that plate. 

go to local VTNZ/AA with that email -not at lunch time or on weekends as they’ve got to call NZTA to get confirmation, and a filled out mr2b because you’ve proved it’s alreadt been road regoed. Pay $$ get rego.

Did this recently for my latest FR50 with a black plate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shakotom said:

Mate this is lush, I’ve got most of a really shit, much less complete one of these stashed away for a future project.

Black plates. Reusing them is the same as cars,

send a email off to ReuseOfPlates@nzta.govt.nz with as much proof that the plates belong to that bike as possible -rusty bolts attached to frame - old rego sticker - include frame number, make and model and year -49cc stamp on motor etc. wait 10? Days then you should get a emai back saying it’s okay to re use that plate. 

go to local VTNZ/AA with that email -not at lunch time or on weekends as they’ve got to call NZTA to get confirmation, and a filled out mr2b because you’ve proved it’s alreadt been road regoed. Pay $$ get rego.

Did this recently for my latest FR50 with a black plate.

Cheers mate, that's a big help. I've re-rego'd a car with that process, so I'm familiar with the process etc...

Will send email ASAP to get the party started. Do they check the bike at all when registering at VTNZ?

Parts are already proving to be quite hard to find, but I'm tracking down some mirrors for it at the moment. Only thing broken on the whole bike is the front brake handle (completely gone).

Let the fun begin.

• Like 1

Seeing as it’s got the plate, and you’ll have a confirmation letter from nzta stating that the moped has infact been previously registered, they shouldn’t need to inspect it because of those facts. Provided it’s not modified from its original form. Some places may like to sight it. All depends. I’ve had it go both ways

I’ve has no inspection, just sighting it, lap of the car park /check the brakes spec once over

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/required-documentation-and-registration/re-registering-a-vehicle#heading5-for-tab2

section 4.1

On eBay, try searching Suzuki Cutlass

is it just the brake lever that’s missing? Still got the switch block/mounts not broken? Should be similar to a FR lever, let me check my stash of stuff. /post a pic of what you missing- might be easier

9 hours ago, jackeo21 said:

Will send email ASAP to get the party started. Do they check the bike at all when registering at VTNZ?

it does state that the plate is meant to be in as new condition or some such, im not sure how fussy they are about that

i cleaned mine and used a black pen over a big crack through the middle and lo res photos just in case

Cheers guys, really helpful stuff. Hopefully the registration process will go well (If I get there!)

Took it for it's first drive since 1983 today. Managed to achieve 30 miles an hour, not a bad figure for such a bike. Speedo goes to 60mph, I would hate to imagine what that's like. 3 speed semi auto works a charm and even has that oldschool auto whine to it.

Main concern is tyres now. They need replacing. And the rims are right on the edge of being too rusty. It's a tricky situation. Tyres are 2.75-17 if anyone has anything or knows where to look.

After the tyres are replaced I'll attempt to clear the oil bottle line (just running 25:1 in the petrol tank, this bike is actually supposed to mix both automatically). Then it's a matter of sorting out the strange wiring, getting a front brake lever, and getting a rego.

2Lx4B.jpg

2Lx4C.jpg

This is where the brake lever belongs. Looks as though I can bolt in a bicycle one, but not entirely sure yet.

2Lx4D.jpg

• Like 1

any local bike shop should be able to sort you the tyres / tubes. I pester botany Honda as they’re my local or harass @MopedNZ.

Your in auckland? 

Ive got a lever that should work for it of a FR, unfortunately it’s missing the little knob bit on the outer end (bit under the black rubber cover in link below) but was fine -I replaced with a better one for my bike. -Say $5 to cover  postage to you?

or this should work off ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232912582959

1 hour ago, Shakotom said:

any local bike shop should be able to sort you the tyres / tubes. I pester botany Honda as they’re my local or harass @MopedNZ.

Your in auckland? 

Ive got a lever that should work for it of a FR, unfortunately it’s missing the little knob bit on the outer end (bit under the black rubber cover in link below) but was fine -I replaced with a better one for my bike. -Say $5 to cover  postage to you?

or this should work off ebay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232912582959

Botany is my local too. If you're close would be sweet if you wanted to come gander at it.

Just bought that brake lever, but cheers for the offer. Since I've bought a NOS leg shield I may as well grab as many pretty new bits as I can. Next up on the list is fender mirrors.

I'll try botany honda tomorrow and see what they can do.

updates to come!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Motorcycle works ltd. on Greenmount drive sorted me the tires and a new flasher unit at a really sharp price. Guy was super helpful and they have lots of cool bikes.

Front tire is on, but I need to do the back. This thing runs so sweet, starts first kick no matter how long it sits. My brake lever also arrived, but it needed some modification as there was a big bit of strange casting on it that my bike didn't need. A little grinding and filing and it fits nicely. The front brakes now just need an adjust up.

Next up is to sort the messed up wiring,  and hopefully get a rego! However I have read that I need a front fender in order to be road legal?

I installed my new leg shield, and installed the indicators, and plugged them in exactly how they should be. When the right indicator turns on at the rear, the front left goes. When the left rear turns on, nothing happens at the front. Weird. And the horn doesn't work, even after a switch clean. Battery straight to the horn has it nice and loud. I'm thinking there's a short somewhere in the loom.

Headlight bulb hopefully on the way. Surprisingly difficult to find the right one.

Also have a sheepskin car seat cover I'm tempted to completely destroy modify for the sake of reviving this lush moped seat. We shall see.

So much better with this new leg shield. Weird how they advertise them brand new on trademe with so few of these in existence.

2LWfi.jpg

As you can see, the indicators are somehow crossed over.

2LWfm.jpg

• Like 1